Hand held bidet hose sprayer thingy. How to heat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thekid1

Reaction score
Ok so I have this bidet hose that looks like an old style kitchen faucet sprayer. It tees in right where the supply water for toilet enters the toilet tank. Obviously this is cold water. Certain people would like this to be warm water.

What's the best way to make this happen(running cost)?

1) I was thinking an additional recirculating pump hot loop from hot water heater that is activated by bathroom light switch. How would I control temperature going to hose so it's not too hot?

Or

2) Some sort of point of use device. The only thing that concerns me with this is not knowing how they work. Is it activated by water flow which then turns electric on to heat water or is it constantly maintaining temperature all day long, costing me money. Maybe I can do the light switch thing to a 240v relay to activate the device. But then again, does it heat up fast enough upon entering bathroom doing this way? I guess this depends on how it operates.

All great questions. Yes I have a similar post about this but that's for the sink and at the time, I was not concerned with temperature because we would be able to adjust with the cold water handle so it wouldnt be too hot. I never did anything with it because the thread didn't get much hype.

Maybe we can figure something out that works for toilet and sink. Thank you.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When I plumbed my house, I installed a Toilet Tank Anti-Sweat Valve, Model Number: SL1004, Menards ® SKU: 6640176. AFAIK it is manufactured by B&K but there are other brands. Some like mine have adjustable blend.

While you would not want to blend in so much hot water as to flush with warm water, it could be adjusted to take some of the chill off or it could be plumbed to just supply the bidet. You would still need to have a recirc loop on the hot water supply or else the mix ratio will not provide consistent temperature. If the anti-sweat valve is installed at the far end of the supply pipe, all of the water in the pipe should be tepid.

A recirc pump that does not have a dedicated return uses the cold line for the return which results in a small amount of the cold water being tepid. They deploy a crossover that has a thermostat that shuts the pump off when it senses warmth. If you ran the recirc pump to coincide with a motion detector or push button, it would load the cold side with tepid water when you need it.

Another technology that could work better than an anti-sweat mixing valve is anti-scald mixing valves since they use temperature sensing but they do have the potential to scald as the technology cannot react fast enough.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
I suspect "certain people" would be thrilled to have an actual bidet with a heated seat, warm water rinse, and warm air drying. It's going to cost you about as much for that as all the auxiliary heat, piping, etc. you're looking to add, and will provide a much more pleasing "end" product. (Sorry, couldn't resist that.)

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The cost would depend on the accessibility to the plumbing and there could be some spin-off benefit such as not having to wait for hot water at the lavatory.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The cost would depend on the accessibility to the plumbing and there could be some spin-off benefit such as not having to wait for hot water at the lavatory.

There is always the option of installing a point of use 2 -4 gallon water heater in the bathroom under a vanity

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There is always the option of installing a point of use 2 -4 gallon water heater in the bathroom under a vanity
Yes, that also crossed my mind. I assume the POU heater could be set to a low enough temp to not have to blend in cold water.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPC bidet max temp is 110F. Also I hope there's an isolation method on this contraption. You could get yourself really sick if this isn't right.

Thekid1

Reaction score
When I plumbed my house, I installed a Toilet Tank Anti-Sweat Valve, Model Number: SL1004, Menards ® SKU: 6640176. AFAIK it is manufactured by B&K but there are other brands. Some like mine have adjustable blend.

While you would not want to blend in so much hot water as to flush with warm water, it could be adjusted to take some of the chill off or it could be plumbed to just supply the bidet. You would still need to have a recirc loop on the hot water supply or else the mix ratio will not provide consistent temperature. If the anti-sweat valve is installed at the far end of the supply pipe, all of the water in the pipe should be tepid.

A recirc pump that does not have a dedicated return uses the cold line for the return which results in a small amount of the cold water being tepid. They deploy a crossover that has a thermostat that shuts the pump off when it senses warmth. If you ran the recirc pump to coincide with a motion detector or push button, it would load the cold side with tepid water when you need it.

Another technology that could work better than an anti-sweat mixing valve is anti-scald mixing valves since they use temperature sensing but they do have the potential to scald as the technology cannot react fast enough.

Hey, can you draw a quick sketch of what you mean? It's hard to visualize the way it would be piped out. For my case, I have an unfinished basement right underneath, so the cold line goes right through the floor to the toilet tank.

I suspect "certain people" would be thrilled to have an actual bidet with a heated seat, warm water rinse, and warm air drying. It's going to cost you about as much for that as all the auxiliary heat, piping, etc. you're looking to add, and will provide a much more pleasing "end" product. (Sorry, couldn't resist that.)

I actually like this better being able to spray where you want and not having the bowl look like a space shuttle. Don't knock it till you try it, it's actually very simple and effective.....you can eat sashimi off me after I'm done.

Do these constantly maintain a certain temperature running electricity all day, or only on water flow? If the former, I guess I can always install a relay to it from light switch, but in that case, how long will it take to heat up from cold start?

Also I hope there's an isolation method on this contraption. You could get yourself really sick if this isn't right.

Lol. What does this even mean? Are you referring to legionnaires disease through the anus, or are you thinking I'm somehow spraying sh$tty water into my drinking water somehow?

Surviver Man recommends drinking stagnant water through your anus to avoid getting sick btw...lmao

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
These use very little electricity and the temperature usually remans constant

If you notice there are several ways to have tempered water (100 DEG F)

This is the one I used for a single basin in a nursery school set for 105 DEG F

Because it is used 5 days a week there is no possibility of having stagnant water inside the tank

Look at figure 2 for a great installation

https://www.hotwater.com/lit/im/res_elec/185834-000.pdf

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GeekTech...iEdWh3Tl4re2aRQGkjBoC0Y4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, can you draw a quick sketch of what you mean? It's hard to visualize the way it would be piped out. For my case, I have an unfinished basement right underneath, so the cold line goes right through the floor to the toilet tank.

I actually like this better being able to spray where you want and not having the bowl look like a space shuttle. Don't knock it till you try it, it's actually very simple and effective.....you can eat sashimi off me after I'm done.

Do these constantly maintain a certain temperature running electricity all day, or only on water flow? If the former, I guess I can always install a relay to it from light switch, but in that case, how long will it take to heat up from cold start?

Lol. What does this even mean? Are you referring to legionnaires disease through the anus, or are you thinking I'm somehow spraying sh$tty water into my drinking water somehow?

Surviver Man recommends drinking stagnant water through your anus to avoid getting sick btw...lmao
That was bear grillz. More like you're washing your butt and the water gets shut off (for one of the millions odds reasons this happens) or the city is flushing hydrants and the main water loses pressure. Then you have shi$$y water being sucked into your drinking water.
There are many many many instances of the water supply being polluted (unknowingly) by users in the neighborhood simply due to a lack of isolation protection.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
That was bear grillz. More like you're washing your butt and the water gets shut off (for one of the millions odds reasons this happens) or the city is flushing hydrants and the main water loses pressure. Then you have shi$$y water being sucked into your drinking water.
There are many many many instances of the water supply being polluted (unknowingly) by users in the neighborhood simply due to a lack of isolation protection.

AS long as the spray nozzle is above the flood level rim there cannot be backsiphonage

I would find back syphon truly a

"'Do these constantly maintain a certain temperature running electricity all day, or only on water flow? If the former, I guess I can always install a relay to it from light switch, but in that case, how long will it take to heat up from cold start"

Think about a water heater in general. Once the set temperature is reached the stand by losses are minimal

Trying to get the temperature back up would not only be time consuming it would would be a waste of energy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks