• Don't be lazy, trim some tile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

The DIY Werewolf

Circling the drain ... again.
Reaction score
Greetings Gurus

I'm brand new to the site and glad I found it. Seems to be a lot of good advice and conversation here. I live in the Phoenix Metro area in a single story duplex built in 1985 with a concrete slab. So we're at the point where almost anything can go wrong and slowly but surely is. The payout is a great sense of satisfaction ... at least when things go right. :)

What I'm dealing with today is repair of a toilet closet flange. It was loose & leaking and of course the ring corroded. As you can see from the photos the ring was never secured to the floor nor was the flange raised to accommodate the tile. It was soaked with you-know-what up under that tile. Ick^7th.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg

I've since removed, cleaned and completely dried all that. The tile floor is level in both directions and is exactly 1/2 inch higher than the slab. The offset ABS flange is very secure, it doesn't budge in any direction, no cracks or splits. The top of the flange is pretty much level with the finished tile floor, but it's not quite level being 1/4" off.

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

My plan is to mount a Danco Hydroseat using 2" (or longer) tapcon screws so the tabs/feet are level with the tile floor. Because I really don't want to do this again anytime soon and plan to stay here awhile, I could use your collective wisdoms on a few fine points:

Should I fill in the area around the flange with concrete, making it level with the floor, let cure, mount hydroseat?

Or, I have some 1/2" spacers that are a perfect fit to flush with the tile. And then caulk those tile edges with Mor-Flexx.

I'd rather not have to cut tile if it can be avoided.

IMG_0245.jpg

I'm also looking at the Korky Wax Free ring to go under the Hydroseat. I suspect I might be fussing with it and this ring allows that. Will that ring absorb the 1/4" out of level flange-to-floor issue?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks a ton,

-Ken

Reach4

Reaction score
My plan is to mount a Danco Hydroseat using 2" (or longer) tapcon screws so the tabs/feet are level with the tile floor. Because I really don't want to do this again anytime soon and plan to stay here awhile, I could use your collective wisdoms on a few fine points:
When you drill the holes, make sure that you go deep enough and blow out the dust.

Should I fill in the area around the flange with concrete, making it level with the floor, let cure, mount hydroseat?
If you can get 4 feet of the Hydroseat to sit on the tile, I would think no need. If one or more feet will not sit on the tile, that (mortar -- rather than ordinary concrete) sounds like a good idea. Your spacers should be OK too.

Another choice would be a repair ring. PASCO 21013, Jones Stephens C85000, Oatey 42775, and Superior 21015 are repair rings with mounting tabs outside, and if those tabs fit on the tile, good. Then maybe your Korky right on top of the existing black plastic. You would need to study the dimensions to make sure the waxless seal was tall enough to connect well to the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks