Breaker size for electric cooktop stove

Users who are viewing this thread

CheesecakeLover

Reaction score
Hello we had a 30 amp (4 burner) electric stove that broke. It was serviced by a 10 AWG line.

We replaced it with a 5 burner stove which requires 40 amps, so I pulled a 8 AWG line and changed the breaker in the panel from 30A to 40A.

Now, the wife says the new 5 burner stove is too crowded and she can’t fit her big pots and pans on there at the same time.

She wants a new 4 burner instead. That’s 30 amps. Question: Can I leave the 40A breaker in place, or do I need to put the 30A breaker back in? I’m gonna leave the 8 AWG line in place.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes you can but its OK to leave the 40 amp breaker in place. The breaker protects the wire, not the appliance. 40 amp/8 AWG is the max the wire can safely handle. The stove is built and protected according to its listing # under (usually) Underwriters Laboratory, or Canada (CSA) standards. You'll usually see both listed if the appliance is sold in both countries. You can run table lamp with a 13 watt LED bulb and still be safe and compliant on the 40 amp circuit.

When any appliance has a recommended breaker specification it is the minimum sized required to prevent "false" tripping. Generally keep the maximum load on the circuit at no more than 80% of the rated amperage of the breaker. Therefore, a 40 amp circuit should have a normal current flow of not more than 32 amps. 30 amp at 24 amp. Check the maximum current the stove will draw printed on electrical rating plate.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes you can but its OK to leave the 40 amp breaker in place. The breaker protects the wire, not the appliance.
I agree with the above, but if the appliance manual says "30A maximum breaker" then you have to downsize the breaker. If it just says "30A" it's a bit ambiguous, but I think most would say downsize it. If it says "30A minimum" then the 40A is fine.

Generally keep the maximum load on the circuit at no more than 80% of the rated amperage of the breaker.
That applies to a continuous load, or to a single cord and plug connected load on a general purpose circuit. It doesn't apply to an appliance on a dedicated circuit. If an oven had a rating of 7000W for the heating element, fan, and controls, it would be fine on a 30A circuit, and the manual would call out a 30A circuit.

Cheers, Wayne

CheesecakeLover

Reaction score
Thank you both, Good information. I will probably change the breaker from 40 to 30, but at a later date. I don’t want to shut down the power to the whole house right now if it’s not necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks