What size is this cast iron waste pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Patricia Steele

Reaction score
I was removing old tile and broke the old toilet flange in 1950’s house. Removed old leaded on Flange and was hoping to use a pvc replacement that fits inside the pipe. I thought the pipe was 4 in but the flange won’t fit in. Anyone know if this is actually a 4 in waste pipe? Or is it something else? I posted a pic of the measurements.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 93AF8075-29FE-4A8F-BF8E-40FF699EB2F6.jpeg
    93AF8075-29FE-4A8F-BF8E-40FF699EB2F6.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 580BBDDE-46DF-416D-816F-83DAA593E41D.jpeg
    580BBDDE-46DF-416D-816F-83DAA593E41D.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
There is an easier way I think. If you lay a straightedge on the tile floor over this pipe, what is the clearance?

Just 3/16 inch? Even at that, you might consider a Danco Hydroseat.

If the pipe top is a little farther down, some other choices seem available.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your picture seems to show a dimension a little smaller than 4 inches, so that inside compression flange you show may not fit. It could also be that you could clean off some scale inside if you need more ID.

Sioux Chief 886-GP seems to have bigger gasket/flaps, and may be more accommodating. That one has a plastic ring too.

886-gp-2.jpg

With either, you would need for the plastic fillet of the flange, if any, to clear the pipe.

Patricia Steele

Reaction score
There is an easier way I think. If you lay a straightedge on the tile floor over this pipe, what is the clearance?

Just 3/16 inch? Even at that, you might consider a Danco Hydroseat.

If the pipe top is a little farther down, some other choices seem available.

tile floor hasn’t been laid yet I was just dry fitting . The pipe top of just about flush with plywood subfloor. That subfloor is new so I could probably take it off if adjustments need to be made under it. Should I be considering a metal outside the pipe option like the original? That definitely seems like I need a pro for that.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could you use one of these? https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-cast-iron-closet-flange-279105324 ? I don't know. Click Submittal on that link to see more.
Does your pipe fit through the brass hole at dimension A? I doubt it.
Is the bottom of the brass ring (B) high enough to clear the top of your cast iron pipe? Don't know. Seems unlikely, but my green line kind makes the bottom of the brass and the bottom of the outer ring (C) not look too different in altitude.

Anyway, if this were going to fit, you would have to cut out some subfloor.

The 4 screws compress the gasket around the pipe. No gluing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-in-Cast-Iron-Closed-Toilet-Flange-with-Test-Cap-422562/305248429 has test cap
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Oatey-42255-4-Cast-Iron-Closet-Flange-w-o-Test-Cap has no test cap.
img_1a.jpg

Last edited:

Patricia Steele

Reaction score
This is so thoughtful! I’m gonna get some of these options and see what works. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks