Installed filter, now Cold Water Sputtering

Users who are viewing this thread

Yinn

Reaction score
I recently installed a backwashing carbon filter. Being that my house is on well and doesn't use chlorine, I installed the filter after the softener. Everything was operating as intended prior to installing the filter, but ever since it went in my cold water lines would sputter upon first use.

When I initiate a backwash on the filter, the backwash line also sputters upon initial use. I can't seem to figure out what might be the issue. Any ideas?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anytime you shut water off and get air in the line, it will sputter until the air is purged. Just run it until the air stops being annoying.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Everything was operating as intended prior to installing the filter, but ever since it went in my cold water lines would sputter upon first use.
It might be sheer coincidence. My guess is the softener brine draw air check is failing which leaves a pocket of air at the top of the softener media tank and some of that air gets absorbed into the water.

If the softener can be programmed to run a short backwash after the brining stage that would purge out air that collected during brining. Possibly the air is trapped in the carbon filter tank in which case, see below.

If not a failed brine draw air check, if you have a hydro-pneumatic tank, the higher GPM draw to backwash the carbon filter could cause enough of a pressure drop for air from the HP tank to move forward. I had that problem with my iron filter and added a second HP tank with a shortened up AVC so that the tank had a foot more water (and consequently a foot less air) so the expanding air would not move forward.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Which brand and model of backwashing control valve is the carbon filter equipped with?

Post some photos showing each of the 4 sides of the control valve while any removable covers are removed.

What are the settings programmed for the carbon filter?

Reach4

Reaction score
When I initiate a backwash on the filter, the backwash line also sputters upon initial use. I can't seem to figure out what might be the issue. Any ideas?
Water well sucks out all of the water during the backwash and brings in some air??
Your valve doesn't have the brine line port plugged, and air gets sucked in??
Just speculation not based on experience.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water well sucks out all of the water during the backwash and brings in some air??
Your valve doesn't have the brine line port plugged, and air gets sucked in??
Just speculation not based on experience.
try placing the carbon tank in bypass and see if it still occurs. are you certain you don't have a bad foot valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
try placing the carbon tank in bypass and see if it still occurs. are you certain you don't have a bad foot valve?
A bad air check valve in the softener brine tank would only add air when the softener regenerated.

Yinn

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I think (hope) it's solved.

The sputtering was more than the normal shutoff/turn on cycle. Even after running every faucet.

I went back and checked every connection, everything was tight. I eventually went around with a soap bottle looking for a leak, sure enough the brine plug was sucking air. I wrapped some teflon around it and snugged it up again and it seems to be resolved as of this AM.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Please fix the brine line correctly. Post a picture of the location of the air leak, we cna let you know a correct fix.

Yinn

Reaction score
Please fix the brine line correctly. Post a picture of the location of the air leak, we cna let you know a correct fix.

After the teflon + snugging it, I haven't had any bubbles and no detectable leaks that I can see. As far as I can tell the leak was from the plug itself. There was no actual line connected, it was a black poly plug that threaded directly into where the brine line would normally go. Is there something else that I should check?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is there something else that I should check?
We don't know which brand and model of valve your filter is equipped with. While it is likely you identified the location and corrected the issue, once we know which valve you have, we may be able to offer further advice on other susceptible locations to check.

Photos less than 800 pixels maybe posted directly. For larger photos, upload to a hosting site and post the links.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks