Leak in Water Main

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob_plumbing

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Was shutting off my water main today and when I turned the key to off position water starting pouring out the top of the valve. I immediately turned it back on and the water stopped coming out of the top of the valve.

Added a few pictures, one of the top of the valve and the other of the key I have.

Wonder if this is an easy fix to stop the leaking when turning the valve off? thanks

valve1.jpg
valve2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Wonder if this is an easy fix to stop the leaking when turning the valve off?
I think the easy way is to ask the water department to temporarily turn off your water while you do something.

Rob_plumbing

Reaction score
I think the easy way is to ask the water department to temporarily turn off your water while you do something.
Yea that's likely the plan but they charge an am and a leg to turn it off. Could be an expensive fix, need a plumber I guess.

Rob_plumbing

Reaction score
Does anyone know how easy it is to remove this top metal plate to access to shutoff valve to repair it? Does it just screw off or is it a fixed piece that would need to be surgically removed? thanks

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 9.54.01 AM.png

Reach4

Reaction score
You are talking about you repairing the city's shutoff valve? That can't be a good idea.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure about where you live , but here the city is responsible for fixing that. As the home owner your valve should be inside the house (or on your side of the cities valve). As the homeowner you never asked for a valve there, and could care less if it works since it's the one they use to shut you off against your will.

If this isn't the case, it seems odd for someone to have a corporation cock as their main shut off valve, and it's also odd that it seems so close to your house. Normally they are near the curb somewhere.

Rob_plumbing

Reaction score
You are talking about you repairing the city's shutoff valve? That can't be a good idea.
Just wondering how can you tell this is the city cut off valve? It is beside my front porch, about 50 feet from the road? When I bought the cottage I was told this is a customer shut off valve but I need to verify that with the water dept.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
That may well be a plug valve in which case a rap downward with the meter key on top of the "handle" may reseated the plug and stop the leak.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Call your water utility company and ask them to come to your property and mark the location of their shut-off valve. Our local utility does that at no cost.

Rob_plumbing

Reaction score
That may well be a plug valve in which case a rap downward with the meter key on top of the "handle" may reseated the plug and stop the leak.
My plumber seems to think that since I turned off this valve before shutting off the inside house valve that it was some back flow from the house gushing through the over flow on the valve and likely nothing to worry about. Not sure if that's the way these valves work but makes sense if it does have an over flow in that scenerio?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks