AAV Location or placement under Kitchen sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Timothy Miller

Drip under Pressure =Expert
Reaction score
InkedPXL_20211011_012137370_LI.jpg
ecPjbuGXt21GRxUe6

In this situation, is the current location of the P Trap in relation to the AAV valve correct, or must the P-trap be below the base of the drain pipe?

miller-wrong-way-sink-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
In this situation, is the current location of the P Trap in relation to the AAV valve correct, or must the P-trap be below the base of the drain pipe?
P-trap U must be below the drain pipes. What you have is incorrect.

You may have to cut out clearance, for the bottom of the U, in your cabinet bottom. Alternatively, you could raise the horizontal pvc pipe before the AAV.

In the attached sketch, you put a sanitary tee (santee) up higher, using a long-sweep bend or two 45s to drop the drainage. Then the trap arm goes into the trap adapter on the side of the sanitary tee. AAV is 4 inches above the sanitary tee.

Attachments

• img_3.jpg
    img_3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Timothy Miller

Reaction score
P-trap U must be below the drain pipes. What you have is incorrect.

You may have to cut out clearance, for the bottom of the U, in your cabinet bottom. Alternatively, you could raise the horizontal pvc pipe before the AAV.

In the attached sketch, you put a sanitary tee (santee) up higher, using a long-sweep bend or two 45s to drop the drainage. Then the trap arm goes into the trap adapter on the side of the sanitary tee. AAV is 4 inches above the sanitary tee.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I Plan to do just that. Thanks!

Timothy Miller

Reaction score
would this updated diagram be correct, from what I have learned thus far?
InkedPXL_20211011_012137370_LI.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
That works nicely. Many prefer to avoid the baffle center-tees and use the tee as Terry pictured. I presume the center tees may be more likely to clog.

Timothy Miller

Reaction score
sani-tee on it's back is a no-no, but I put the cleanout in there if it ever clogs, -(didn't want to cut it out and put a wye in).

Reach4

Reaction score
sani-tee on it's back is a no-no,
I had not noticed that. If that ever becomes a problem, you have plenty of pipe to put in a combo (wye+45) instead of the santee.

But you are going to have easy cleaning if a clog every would happen.

You might drop that slip joint tee into the trap a tad to give 2% slope on the slip joint horizontals. I don't see slope in the photo, but maybe it's there already.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks