Intermittent Tub Shower drain Leak 2 Identical Houses

Users who are viewing this thread

Etbrown4

Reaction score
No one will believe this.
I have 2 Identical Houses with an identical 16 year old fiberglass tub shower drain in each, both leak intermittently or rarely.

The first one leaked one time through the drywall ceiling 3 months ago. None since.

Today in the other house there was a 3' puddle in the ceramic floor below this morning, yet 4 hours later, I ran water in that tub for 10 minutes and no leak.

The tub shower user swears there was no water on the floor. These units both have tight fitting glass doors.

My suspicion is the overflow, but today the user was taking a shower.

Is there plumbers putty in a fiberglass tub shower drain? Other possibilities?

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
No one will believe this.
I have 2 Identical Houses with an identical 16 year old fiberglass tub shower drain in each, both leak intermittently or rarely.

The first one leaked one time through the drywall ceiling 3 months ago. None since.

Today in the other house there was a 3' puddle in the ceramic floor below this morning, yet 4 hours later, I ran water in that tub for 10 minutes and no leak.

The tub shower user swears there was no water on the floor. These units both have tight fitting glass doors.

My suspicion is the overflow, but today the user was taking a shower.

Is there plumbers putty in a fiberglass tub shower drain? Other possibilities?
Could be lots of things. Tub drain, overflow, surround seal, spout, caulking if any around spout, caulking if any around hot and cold valve, shower arm. Best to cut hole below and get some to divert water to all these spots. Even had one where it only leaked when some one was in the tub

Etbrown4

Reaction score
Diverted spout water toward overflow 5 min, and no leaks.

Stood in tub, to apply weight to tub bottom, while running water 5 min, and no leak.

Tub spout and 1 handle valve cover plate are tight to the wall.

Etbrown4

Reaction score
After trying all suggestions kindly made, it seems there is no obvious solution?

One thing I haven't tried is running water in the tub/shower, but diverting it through the shower head, so I guess there's a chance that there could be a leak in that 1/2" line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it's the tub diverter spout pushing water back into the wall when it tries to divert water up to the showerhead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks