No Water from Toilet Supply line nor Cold water from sink

Users who are viewing this thread

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
Sounds to me as if the cold water line is blocked before the bathroom, and you don't get water to feed the toilet unless you get a crossover by opening the hot and cold valves at the sink. Then hot is crossing over and feeding toward the toilet to.

Inspect for a closed valve. Cold to your bathroom is getting stopped somewhere. Can you run cold water out of the tub spout?

Should we guess your house is on a slab and your pipes are in the slab?
I get cold water out of the tub. Yes my home is on a slab. Seems like the cold water valve for the sink is defiantly acting odd. No turn know was on it and due to the corrasion I can't tell if it's on or off.

Reach4

Reaction score
I get cold water out of the tub. Yes my home is on a slab. Seems like the cold water valve for the sink is defiantly acting odd. No turn know was on it and due to the corrosion I can't tell if it's on or off.

So more than one problem. Sure, you will want new stop valves, and when you post the photo of the current stop valves, you will get some info.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think you are saying that you get no water fill the toilet unless you turn on the faucet at the lavatory to warm. If that is the case, the path for the cold water is blocked, and I think you will be filling the toilet with hot water that may have cooled down some.

Search for a plumbing access panel. With copper in slab, your connections are out of the slab like this (this photo is not related to CrimIsGrim and is only for illustration):
index.php

You can get plenty of cold to the tub. Because you ran the cold for several minutes, you know it is not just cooled-down hot water, right? Is there maybe access behind the tub faucet, maybe in a linen closet? Often the same 3/4 inch pipe will supply all of the cold for the bathroom. If that is your case, somehow the cold water between the tub and (lavatory+toilet) is blocked.

How old is this home? Did you have a home inspector? Can you ask the former owner for info?

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
The house is 40 years old. I can't ask the former owner due to the house being own by a company that had me sign papers saying they knew nothing of the condition internally. I had a home inspector but he didn't mention anything about these issues during inspection because everything was working normally. The only thing we did before moving in was wait a month to turn on utilities due to our apartment lease.

Reach4

Reaction score
The house is 40 years old. I can't ask the former owner due to the house being own by a company that had me sign papers saying they knew nothing of the condition internally. I had a home inspector but he didn't mention anything about these issues during inspection because everything was working normally.
It is possible the inspector missed this, but of course it could be a new thing. It's an unusual condition.

Suppose, for example, the inspector wanted to see if the lavatory drain could keep up with a long, and turned on the flow to warm. Then while the lavatory faucet runs, the inspector flushes the toilet, and see that it refills. Maybe the water heater was not on at that point, or the inspector just did not notice the faucet would not deliver just cold.

So let's say everything was fine when the inspector inspected. What could have happened to account for this symptom change? Got me stumped. Guess a piece of debris clogs the 1/2 inch supplying the toilet fill an lavatory cold. Seems unlikely, but I have nothing better. If that is what I were left with, I would try to figure out how to backflush that pipe. Or block those pipes, and fish a new PEX pipe through the walls and attic. I am not a plumber.

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
Thanks for the assist though
It is possible the inspector missed this, but of course it could be a new thing. It's an unusual condition.

Suppose, for example, the inspector wanted to see if the lavatory drain could keep up with a long, and turned on the flow to warm. Then while the lavatory faucet runs, the inspector flushes the toilet, and see that it refills. Maybe the water heater was not on at that point, or the inspector just did not notice the faucet would not deliver just cold.

So let's say everything was fine when the inspector inspected. What could have happened to account for this symptom change? Got me stumped. Guess a piece of debris clogs the 1/2 inch supplying the toilet fill an lavatory cold. Seems unlikely, but I have nothing better. If that is what I were left with, I would try to figure out how to backflush that pipe. Or block those pipes, and fish a new PEX pipe through the walls and attic. I am not a plumber.
Thanks for the assist though. When we reviewed the home myself and my realtor used the restroom like normal. I didn't notice the issue until we moved in.

Reach4

Reaction score
Re-confirm stated symptoms:
  1. tub cold is good for a whole tub of cold
  2. toilet only refills if lavatory is on
  3. no cold-only at the lavatory.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Has this been resolved?

Was thinking that you might try adding air pressure back from the toilet valve to see if you get pressure back at another cold faucet.

We had a problem once when a year after a basement remodel that included replacing the mid floor kitchen galvanized water feeds that the bathroom soaking tub 50ft away and on the second floor had not water. I pumped air into the tub spout and we could hear the air behind the kitchen sink. At some point during a previous remodel of the kitchen and master bathroom, they fed the water to just the tub from the kitchen sink air hammer pipes.. The homeowner couldn't fathom how we could have made the mistake. We fired them as clients after we remodeled the kitchen and fixed the tub problem in the process.

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
No the issue is still happening. I plan on replacing the hot and cold valves to see if that would resolve the issue. I feel like pressure is off somehow. I removed the cold water supply line on the cold water valve and seen that no water is coming out the valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
No the issue is still happening. I plan on replacing the hot and cold valves to see if that would resolve the issue. I feel like pressure is off somehow. I removed the cold water supply line on the cold water valve and seen that no water is coming out the valve.
The problem is not the toilet or lavatory supply valves. Otherwise turning on the lavatory faucet to warm would not have caused the water to fill the toilet.

I suggest you look all around for access panels that may give access to a valve.

If you are not in a freeze area, maybe even inspect outdoors.

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
Hello I apologize for not following up. I found out that the seller lied the pipe burst was patched with sharkbites. They would have gotten a way with it but I found the pipe that was connected to the toilet/cold water. I'm having the pipes redone I can't believe I will lied to and no have to put work into this house. The sell had me to sign a form saying he doesn't know anything about the property so it's all on me. Thanks for all of your assistance.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello I apologize for not following up. I found out that the seller lied the pipe burst was patched with sharkbites. They would have gotten a way with it but I found the pipe that was connected to the toilet/cold water. I'm having the pipes redone I can't believe I will lied to and no have to put work into this house. The sell had me to sign a form saying he doesn't know anything about the property so it's all on me. Thanks for all of your assistance.
Having a shark bite isn't illegal or cause of no water. so your follow is ? what was the cause? share your results or repair , We took time helping you! consult with realtor if you think you been given false info , In CA we have some recourse you might as well

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like they made a repair and connected cold to the hot side at the shower.. so a cold cold.. or left something out of the loop.

In Texas that document might hold weight... but I would take him to small claims court regardless.. That document may not have been legal if they knowingly hid something. There are things a previous owner may not know because they purchased it in such condition. But they assuradely knew they made those repairs. Sue em.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No idea what the repair is worth and how to prove seller knew . Our family is selling a property that none of us stepped foot in due to being occupied we have no knowledge of condition even though it was remodeled in last year.
OP not able supply a clear story , Perhaps he can explain it to a judge .and make sense but hasn't happened here.

CrimIsGrim

Reaction score
Having a shark bite isn't illegal or cause of no water. so your follow is ? what was the cause? share your results or repair , We took time helping you! consult with realtor if you think you been given false info , In CA we have some recourse you might as well

1. What was the cause? - Whoever repaired the the issue didn't put the pipe that connects the cold water/toilet back they left it because it was also leaking.
2. Share your results or repair - I used a T 3/4, 3/4, 1/2 sharkbite but two CPVC pipe to make a new T pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks