Watts LF777SI Different Mesh

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
I have an LF777SI Y strainer on the main line coming into the house (2") and am installing an IBC boiler with indirect water heater tank. The strainer has a #20 mesh which I believe is 841 microns.

IBC recommends a Y strainer on the boiler fresh water feed.

Is there a good reason to put another 20 mesh strainer on that line?

Should I instead put a finer filter, like a 50 or 100 micron on the water feed to the boiler?

Do I need a filter on the boiler return (from tank)?

Thank you!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually there is a strainer on the return from your heating piping. Not generally on the fill valve. I don't think strainer would do much unless you can see a reason things might be getting into your water.

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
Usually there is a strainer on the return from your heating piping. Not generally on the fill valve. I don't think strainer would do much unless you can see a reason things might be getting into your water.

The system is not used for heating. Only DHW.

Do you think I need any additional filtration?

Thank you.

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
Thank you.

I'd very much appreciate what yearly maintenance should be done?

I know it's odd, and I admit I know very little, but I support (or, rather, I am responsible for) a whole bunch of boilers and tankless water heaters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks