Turning old bathroom into utility room (washer and dryer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Marlin8

Reaction score
Hello, pardon if this has already been discussed! I bought an old house (built in 1930) that has an old bathroom with toilet sink and shower. Pretty sure this was an addition perhaps in the 1960s or 70s. Anyway I want to take everything out and put in a w/d. Which drain should I hook into - toilet, sink or shower? It is a concrete slab floor - but I don't mind digging out a trench of some sort. Thanks.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Code requires a 2" drain. For the time period the sink will probably be 1.5". Not sure about the shower drain. The other concern is proper venting. They are plenty of pictures on this forum on a proper plumbing for a washing machine. You cannot connect any fixture or drain you currently have. The trap for the washer must be above the floor. Do you plan a utility sink? If you have the room you'll want one.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-washer-can-i-share-the-drain-and-vent.95794/

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you extend the toilet drain, you'll have the largest capacity pipe needed. As Worth mentions, the minimum size drain for any laundry is 2". But you might bring the 3" up into the wall to have a full sized cleanout available.

Reach4

Reaction score
Marlin uses 2015 International Plumbing Code.

You have to use 3 inch once the 2-inch laundry standpipe joins anything else unless you do this:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_2-png.62271/

With 3 inch, you can have the laundry sink and standpipe separate.

Might as well consider adding an "emergency" floor drain while you are busting things up.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code requires a 2" drain. For the time period the sink will probably be 1.5". Not sure about the shower drain. The other concern is proper venting. They are plenty of pictures on this forum on a proper plumbing for a washing machine. You cannot connect any fixture or drain you currently have. The trap for the washer must be above the floor. Do you plan a utility sink? If you have the room you'll want one.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-washer-can-i-share-the-drain-and-vent.95794/

in my area, we are required to pipe the horizontal run from a clothes washer with 3" pipe. So if the code is the same as mine, you'd want to dump the CW into the 3" pipe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks