Faucet Handles snapped off, what are my options here ?

Users who are viewing this thread

GoodGuyGreg

Reaction score
This is an old cast iron tub, it's used almost daily for hand washing big dishes, towels, etc. Both handles have snapped clean. Does this need replacing ? Can this be welded ? How hard would it be to find a whole new fixture ? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Wishing you all the best blessed.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

0803212309b.jpg

0803212310.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the East coast probably can walk in somewhere and buy a stem. I'm guessing you aren't looking for a pristine restore. I'm sure a little MacGyver work can get a handle to work on it. especially if it doesn't need to match
Never been back to your area where I live a home from 1950 is ancient. I thought places like Boston would have hardware stores with everything. 100 year old homes are common right. assuming you looked

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is an old cast iron tub, it's used almost daily for hand washing big dishes, towels, etc. Both handles have snapped clean. Does this need replacing ? Can this be welded ? How hard would it be to find a whole new fixture ? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Wishing you all the best blessed.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

just replace it.

if its something special and you want to maintain the valve to keep it period-specific, pull the whole damned thing and send in to a faucet machine shop and have the thing completely re-tooled. It'll come back looking and functioning like a brand new one

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you can find one, a new stem would allow new handles to fit. If you take the stems out and take them to a good plumbing supply shop, they MAY be able to match it up and get you a replacement, but getting them out may be tough.

FWIW, you could not install that valve on a new install today...the code now requires the spout to be above the rim of the tub, and you'll not find a tub with provision for a valve/spout assembly as that is configured.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can replace it with a new bath cock and the stuff on the back side of the tub should hook right up to it. This would also allow you to get one with a gooseneck spout that is code compliant and safer.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just replace it.

if its something special and you want to maintain the valve to keep it period-specific, pull the whole damned thing and send in to a faucet machine shop and have the thing completely re-tooled. It'll come back looking and functioning like a brand new one
Usualy these come down to cost issues people dont want to spend other wise it mighta been changed 50 years ago. I cant imagine a place like boston would be hard to get this handled. But I never been there

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I probably have those stems sitting in the yard as art! At least I have a set with cool handles like that.

I would imagine that any professional would be required to replace the whole faucet since its a cross contamination risk.

But you should be able to pull the stems out of the body and take them to a shop that specializes in old stems, have them cross referenced in a big ol book of old stems and get new ones ordered... if you can get the stems out.

GoodGuyGreg

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your advice ! I'm looking for the cheapest functional fix possible. There is zero concern about cosmetics or vintage retainment. Just looking for a permanent fix for functionality.

GoodGuyGreg

Reaction score
just replace it.

amazing advice ! looking into bath cocks now

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your advice ! I'm looking for the cheapest functional fix possible. There is zero concern about cosmetics or vintage retainment. Just looking for a permanent fix for functionality.
I think between finding a replacement stem and attempting repair youll come up with something local. hopefully without much cost

GoodGuyGreg

Reaction score
You can replace it with a new bath cock and the stuff on the back side of the tub should hook right up to it. This would also allow you to get one with a gooseneck spout that is code compliant and safer.

perfect suggestion ! looking into replacement bath cocks now

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks