Help me select a new pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Anthony W

Reaction score
The 5SQ05 better matches well yield based on what you mentioned earlier. If you have had good luck with a 5gpm pump for so long I'd stick with that. To answer earlier questions, that pumping equipment is not very heavy...should be very easy to handle by yourself. The plastic well seal will be just fine for your application. You could reuse the old pipe and wire, but you could replace it ALL with all new fittings for about $200...might as well start off fresh in my opinion.

Awesome! Thank you. That's what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

I installed the pump myself back in 1991, it wasn't that heavy. I just wasn't sure how much a 60' length of 1" pipe full of water would add to that.

My existing well seal is cast iron and is extremely rusty after 30 years. Hopefully I'll be able to get it out without too much difficulty. I can see where the plastic seal would be an advantage in this case, as long as it can hold the weight of the pump.

Now... Back to my conundrum, replace the pump now, or wait till it dies. It may run another 10 years, or it could die tomorrow. Decisions... :)

Reach4

Reaction score
I installed the pump myself back in 1991, it wasn't that heavy. I just wasn't sure how much a 60' length of 1" pipe full of water would add to that.
22.5 lb of water (60 ft of 1.05 ID SIDR pipe) , if I calculated correctly.

Fitter30

Reaction score
If you go with a generator i use a 6k, 7k peak run a 240 v pump, fridge, water heater, lights and 5k window unit ac not all at once but can stay comfortably. Have natural gas get a dual fuel generator- lp and gas. Lp and natural gas never go bad gasoline does.

Anthony W

Reaction score
If you go with a generator i use a 6k, 7k peak run a 240 v pump, fridge, water heater, lights and 5k window unit ac not all at once but can stay comfortably. Have natural gas get a dual fuel generator- lp and gas. Lp and natural gas never go bad gasoline does.

Our pump house is on it's own electrical service, so I would only need a generator big enough to run the pump. Preferably something small enough I could move down to the house if I needed to power the fridge or something. Honestly though, we rarely have power outages so it's more of a luxury wish list item than a necessity.

One other question about a pull rope. I remember adding a pull rope when I installed my pump 30 years ago. I think the pump had a ring to attach to but I can't remember what I attached the rope to at the top end of the well? Are safety pull ropes still a good idea? I've watched several pump installation videos on YouTube and haven't seen anyone add a safety pull rope?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Back to my conundrum, replace the pump now, or wait till it dies. It may run another 10 years, or it could die tomorrow. Decisions... :)

Unfortunately, the same thing applies to a brand new pump. :confused:

Safety rope is a bad idea. Just another opportunity for a failure, like sticking the pump in the well. If the pipe isn't good enough to hold the pump, replace the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks