Wall Hung Toilet Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

KWS4116

Reaction score
We have an older home from the 1960s, and one of the bathrooms has a wall mounted toiled. The model (Kohler) is super old, huge, heavy, and is slowly leaking at the wall. We need to replace it, and I'm curious whether you can swap a wall mount w/ exterior tank with a floor mounted rear outlet. I know NOTHING about plumbing, so I'm thoroughly confused. We remodeled the bathroom fully 2 years ago, but left that toilet because the one rear outlet floor standing I bought apparently wouldn't work, but the contractor could really explain why or what we should replace it with. So they put in a new wax ring to stop the leak, but it started almost right away.

Are we stuck with an exterior tank, wall mounted, or are there any other options? I've seen these close coupled toilets from Duravit, but don't really know what that means either.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I install a lot of the Gerber Maxwell wall hung toilets. They've been working well.

chalet-532.jpg

Last edited:

JoBalz

Reaction score
Terry, your info on a replacement toilet for a 1960 American Standard Norwall was well appreciated. The Gerber Maxwell Compact Elongated was a great fit in my tiny bathroom and turned out to be a quick and simple replacement. Really like it so far. Question, do you have any suggestions or recommendations for a good soft close toilet seat with grip-tight bumpers to prevent slipping around. I'm not crazy about the one the plumber included. Currently looking at the Kohler Brevia K-20110, the Cachet K-7671, and the Rutledge K-4734.

Gerber Compact Elongated Toilet.jpg

vormax-wall-hung-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We have an older home from the 1960s, and one of the bathrooms has a wall mounted toiled. The model (Kohler) is super old, huge, heavy, and is slowly leaking at the wall. We need to replace it, and I'm curious whether you can swap a wall mount w/ exterior tank with a floor mounted rear outlet. I know NOTHING about plumbing, so I'm thoroughly confused. We remodeled the bathroom fully 2 years ago, but left that toilet because the one rear outlet floor standing I bought apparently wouldn't work, but the contractor could really explain why or what we should replace it with. So they put in a new wax ring to stop the leak, but it started almost right away.

Are we stuck with an exterior tank, wall mounted, or are there any other options? I've seen these close coupled toilets from Duravit, but don't really know what that means either.

Thanks!

I have succesfully adapted a duravit floor mount rear discharge toilet to a wall mount drain outlet. It was very difficult to do. It requires cutting and modifying cast iron fittings, having the proper odd adapters, rerouting the water supply behind the toilet where you have no access to the connection and placing the shut off valve in a access panel. The duravit toilets drain discharges around 7" above the floor rather than the 4" of a typical floor mount rear discharge toilet. The process is not for the faint of heart and the uncreative.

Its much simpler to find out why the original toilet is leaking and replace it with a modern version as Terry shows above.

Mary Angela Carey

Reaction score
I'm new here but I am having to change an old wall mount rear discharge toilet with the Baker dual flush rear mount toilet and would like to find out what type of wall hub or fitting do I need to attach it and raise it up using the p trap connector they sent. Could anyone help me please

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm new here but I am having to change an old wall mount rear discharge toilet with th we Baker dual flush rear mount toilet and would like to find out what type of wall hub or fitting do I need to attach it and raise it up using the p trap connector th we y sent. Could anyone help me please

Raising up a wall mounted rear discharge toilet with 4 bolts requires extensive work. The carrier frame its mounted to would need to be removed and bolted onto the framing in the proper location and the drain pipe would need to be raised to match. Likely and at the very least, a new drain barrel would need to be purchased that matches the carrier frame.

Mary Angela Carey

Reaction score
Sorry. I wrote it wrong. I have a new Eljer . floor mount rear outlet toilet. The old toilet was a floor and wall mount I guess but the outlet fits flush up to the wall with a flange and wax ring

Mary Angela Carey

Reaction score
I need to know what hub or wall mount does the p trap connector fit into so I can fix the rough in. And is there some kind of gasket I need with it please

Mary Angela Carey

Reaction score
Also, is there a way to mount the hub on the inside of the wall to hide as much as possible and how close can I safely trim that connector

Mary Angela Carey

Reaction score
Sorry again this typo fixing keyboard keeps changing everything I write. Its an ebler. From signature hardware and there installation instructions don't go past sticking the p trap in the wall

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, I think your situation calls for its own Thread so we stay on topic and address your issues specifically.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks