Cycle Sensor Question

Users who are viewing this thread

HighPointFarms

Reaction score
Hello all!

I want to start by introducing myself. My name is Jon and I live in central Kansas and have been stalking this site for a long time and figured I’d ask a question.

I had a small pond dug on my property this spring and was in need of a way to keep it full between rains. I have an old well on my property that was drilled back in 1991 and only produces 2 GPM or so that used to serve the house and my shop before rural water came through then it sat unused for about 20 years. I put a pump down it when I moved in. I use it still for the shop bathroom and for watering trees.

I had a new well drilled by my pond last week and I’m getting about 4-5 GPM out of it now. It is 120’ deep with a static level of 35’ and the pump placed at about 110’. I planned on putting a windmill on it and using Mother Nature to keep the swimming hole filled for “free”. Here are my questions:

1) I’m going to get a Cycle Sensor installed on the pump I just put down in the new well and let it develop for however long it takes. The well drillers guessed at least 10 GPM when they were blowing it out with air. Can I just set the CS to restart after say an hour and just let it keep bouncing off the dry pump shutdown? Will that hurt the pump?

2) I have seen a combo submersible/pump cylinder setup and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one?

I feel like I’m rambling so I will end it here, but I want to thank everyone in advance for your responses. This site is a GREAT resource!

Jon

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sure you can let the Cycle Sensor develop the well for you. Might not even have to set the timer for an hour. Try 20-30 minutes first, and if the pump runs for more than 2 minutes when it comes on, the delay timer is set the way you want it.

Yes you can put a submersible on the end of a windmill pump barrel. A lot of ranchers do this so they can have water for the cows on calm days or when the windmill isn't working. I love regular old windmills, but they are not free. The windmills themselves are very expensive these days, and windmills require regular maintenance. Replacing the leathers every year or two, checking the oil in the gearbox, and even replacing the ball checks on the pump barrel are regular maintenance items.

I have just a submersible in my stock water well and it hasn't shut off in over 19 years so far. Running 3 GPM to the stock tank all the time. Cost me about 40 bucks a month electricity. But I will gladly pay for the power not to have to climb that tower and pull those rods ever couple years. Big ranches like the 6666 that I have worked for are now using solar power pumps as even they are more reliable and easier to work on than a windmill.

HighPointFarms

Reaction score
Sure you can let the Cycle Sensor develop the well for you. Might not even have to set the timer for an hour. Try 20-30 minutes first, and if the pump runs for more than 2 minutes when it comes on, the delay timer is set the way you want it.

Yes you can put a submersible on the end of a windmill pump barrel. A lot of ranchers do this so they can have water for the cows on calm days or when the windmill isn't working. I love regular old windmills, but they are not free. The windmills themselves are very expensive these days, and windmills require regular maintenance. Replacing the leathers every year or two, checking the oil in the gearbox, and even replacing the ball checks on the pump barrel are regular maintenance items.

I have just a submersible in my stock water well and it hasn't shut off in over 19 years so far. Running 3 GPM to the stock tank all the time. Cost me about 40 bucks a month electricity. But I will gladly pay for the power not to have to climb that tower and pull those rods ever couple years. Big ranches like the 6666 that I have worked for are now using solar power pumps as even they are more reliable and easier to work on than a windmill.

Thanks fr the reply, Valveman! I actually bought an old 8’ Baker windmill off Facebook marketplace a year ago and plan on restoring it. I love the nostalgia of an old mill, just spinning without a care in the world.

I will be in touch with you very soon to get a cycle sensor ordered. How long does it take to ship to KS?

HighPointFarms

Reaction score
I have an old windmill for decoration at my house. But don't try to keep it running. Shipping is usually 3-5 days.

Just out of curiosity, can you draw water with a cylinder pump THROUGH a submersible pump? Dean Bennett Supply sells a sub pump with cylinder on it but uses a tee and a foot valve. I would think with the small amount of water being drawn by the mill it would be fine to pull through it. Am I correct to assume that?

HighPointFarms

Reaction score
That is hilarious! I have never seen that. No you don't need the foot valve thing. The windmill pump barrel will draw water right through the submersible and the check valve on the submersible.

Thanks for the response Cary! I figured it would be okay to draw through the submersible pump but wasn’t sure.

HighPointFarms

Reaction score
I got my Cycle Sensor installed this evening! Fast shipping and super easy to program. Hopefully it will help my new well develop nicely. I have it set to lock out for 31 minutes after the well is dry then the pump kicks back on and runs for about 15 minutes and then shuts back down on dry mode. It will also get my pond filled back up!

Thanks, Cary

Jon

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks