Noisy exhaust AO Smith Vertex 100K

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumberJohn

Reaction score
I put in a replacement Vertex heater after 14 years life with the old one. After about 6 months I noticed a bubbling noise outside. It almost sounded like it was popping and for a better word farting. Well as a retired plumber I put it off and told my wife I’d look at it. Well it finally started to annoy me as well! So down to the basement I went, I loosen the clamps on the exhaust tee and find this! It appears to me to be pieces of a dip tube, is this part of the heater? Has anyone else ever seen this before?

5B60FC16-E47C-41C5-B62B-81B80ACC79A9.jpeg
18CCABB4-CFB1-4DAC-AC6E-02C2F4DB60A5.jpeg
5B60FC16-E47C-41C5-B62B-81B80ACC79A9.jpeg

https://www.hotwater.com/Resources/Literature/Instruction-Manuals/Residential-Gas/Vertex™-100-BTX-Service-Handbook-(318556-000)/

Vertex-High-Efficiency-Power-Direct-Vent-Gas-Water-Heater.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PlumberJohn

Reaction score
Looks like some junk that must have been laying in the flu pipe for decades to me..
maybe parts of the old fan blade that flew off up into the chimney>>.??

Is it copper or just tin metal>??

It’s blue plastic. I assume it’s something that was put in the heater during manufacturing. I replaced a smaller vertex with the 100K vertex. My concern is it’s something in the heater breaking down. This was found in the tee at the base of the heater, so it was inside the heater!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
6 months? That would worry me too. I added a link to your post above, very different looking. I haven't installed one of these yet.
My son Taylor has a direct vent from 2008 that will need replacing soon. I'm sure sooner than he thinks. He's a software engineer. Very good at that.

PlumberJohn

Reaction score
6 months? That would worry me too. I added a link to your post above, very different looking. I haven't installed one of these yet.
My son Taylor has a direct vent from 2008 that will need replacing soon. I'm sure sooner than he thinks. He's a software engineer. Very good at that.

I’ve had power vents for years. First one was a sub chamber using tin vent out the side wall and a hanging fan unit. AO Smith replaced that one with a real power vent model. This is my second Vertex, first one lasted 14 years and only failed because I talked of getting one so I wouldn’t be without hot water. Yes, it’s odd that it was in the heater. Maybe someone thought they were being cute. To me it looks like dip tube.

Reach4

Reaction score
Well as a retired plumber I put it off and told my wife I’d look at it. Well it finally started to annoy me as well! So down to the basement I went, I loosen the clamps on the exhaust tee and find this! It appears to me to be pieces of a dip tube,
How about somebody stuck something into your exhaust port from outside. Is there a screen?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
How about somebody stuck something into your exhaust port from outside. Is there a screen?

Like you said.... how do you know some kid just did not pitch this down the pipe.... or a varmint for that matter.... I had a mouse come down the flu one time and get stuck in the fan.....

If the unit is working ok now, I would not fool with it too much.. Those vertex water heaters from Smith are nothing but trouble.....

PlumberJohn

Reaction score
Well I talked with Sam at AO Smith and he said that it was probably what they use to roll on repair for the lining. As far as the noise it started again and stopped as strangely as it started. I’m going to get some new condensate tubing and hope that works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks