Bi-level drinking water fountain

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbingDIYer

Reaction score
Hi,

I am working on a restaurant in Georgia. The city is requiring me to include a bi-level drinking water fountain in a sit-down restaurant. Seems a little odd since sit-down restaurant serve water for free.

Does anyone know why this may be required? Is it required by International Plumbing Code or is this just a strange Georgia law? Also, when is this required? I have done restaurants before bigger and smaller this year and have never been asked to add a bi-level fountain.

Thanks in advance.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
All public drinking fountains are required to be ADA compliant, hence bi-level.
I've done dozens of restaurants and never encountered a requirement to have a drinking fountain. But if one was provided it would have to be bi-level. They are easy to do if you are skilled.

PlumbingDIYer

Reaction score
All public drinking fountains are required to be ADA compliant, hence bi-level.
I've done dozens of restaurants and never encountered a requirement to have a drinking fountain. But if one was provided it would have to be bi-level. They are easy to do if you are skilled.

Thank you for your response. Having a bi-level or any drinking water fountain in a public area makes sense, but I am trying to understand why in a restaurant? A restaurant is not public and furthermore they serve water for free. In addition to this, why is a reviewer requiring it in some restaurants and not others? This is the first of 3 restaurants I have done in the last 6 months that the same reviewer is requiring the installation of any water fountain.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd Contact him an ask. Could it be possible he didn't ask for it but that was submitted for plan check and he merrily approved it?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. That was the last option. I was thinking someone on here would know.
It seems none have heard of this requirement , could be something in this jurisdiction . but you are saying the city requires it that it wasent submitted for plan check with Drinking fountain?

PlumbingDIYer

Reaction score
It seems none have heard of this requirement , could be something in this jurisdiction . but you are saying the city requires it that it wasent submitted for plan check with Drinking fountain?
Hi Jeff,
That is correct. The no water fountain was included in the first drawings submitted to the city. The reviewer is requesting (in her feedback) that a water fountain and specifically a bi-level water fountain be added. If this was an office building, I could understand this but for a restaurant that serves water for free, this just seems like a weird requirement for the drawings to be approved.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
That is correct. The no water fountain was included in the first drawings submitted to the city. The reviewer is requesting (in her feedback) that a water fountain and specifically a bi-level water fountain be added. If this was an office building, I could understand this but for a restaurant that serves water for free, this just seems like a weird requirement for the drawings to be approved.
Thanks for clarifying Id like to hear why if you find out. I cant guess why you need it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks