Low toilet flange fix help

Users who are viewing this thread

Edward Caldwell

Reaction score
I have a new Toto toilet I need to install. When I removed the old toilet I discovered the flange is low and unlevel. It varies from about 1 - 1/4" to 1 - 1/2 " below the concrete floor. The old toilet had 3 wax rings stacked which did seem to work. I tried an extra thick ring with the cone and a regular non-cone ring but that was not high enough. I'd prefer not having to stack more than two rings so looking at the best way/product to extend the flange. I was looking at the Oatey Sit-Rite Kit (1/4" to 1 5/8) or separate extenders to bring flange up to a point that a single wax ring can be used. Since the flange is also not level will that be much of an issue? Any advice on the best corse of action (and product) for this situation would be greatly appreciated.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about a picture of what you are dealing with? Best fix would be to raise the flange by extending the pipe, if that's not too difficult.

Cheers, Wayne

Edward Caldwell

Reaction score
I have a new Toto toilet I need to install. When I removed the old toilet I discovered the flange is low and unlevel. It varies from about 1 - 1/4" to 1 - 1/2 " below the concrete floor. The old toilet had 3 wax rings stacked which did seem to work. I tried an extra thick ring with the cone and a regular non-cone ring but that was not high enough. I'd prefer not having to stack more than two rings so looking at the best way/product to extend the flange. I was looking at the Oatey Sit-Rite Kit (1/4" to 1 5/8) or separate extenders to bring flange up to a point that a single wax ring can be used. Since the flange is also not level will that be much of an issue? Any advice on the best corse of action (and product) for this situation would be greatly appreciated.
How about a picture of what you are dealing with? Best fix would be to raise the flange by extending the pipe, if that's not too difficult.

Cheers, Wayne

Cheers, Wayne
If by using something like the Sit-Rite kit yes but raising flange is not possible as it is set in the concrete floor.

Attachments

• 06710207-37CE-4291-A488-F4197A79CCEF.jpeg
    06710207-37CE-4291-A488-F4197A79CCEF.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 241E335F-A9AA-4C9A-956C-C1D446A11C33.jpeg
    241E335F-A9AA-4C9A-956C-C1D446A11C33.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 168

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A flange doesn't need to be perfectly level when using a wax seal, or even a foam rubber seal.
Any spacers being used go under the flange, not on top.

Edward Caldwell

Reaction score
A flange doesn't need to be perfectly level when using a wax seal, or even a foam rubber seal.
Any spacers being used go under the flange, not on top.

I added some spacers now I am slightly above flush on the low end and just under 1/2" above the floor level on the high side. Is the high side OK and I can just add a normal wax seal? The toilet itself sits fine on the floor, no rocking what so ever.

Reach4

Reaction score
Why stop 1/2 inch below the floor? Maybe go 1/8 to 1/4 above the floor if you have the rings. Then a single wax ring would top it off.

You should worry about gasses going between the spacer rings. If you are going to have spacer rings above the flange, slather the flange and the rings with wax.

A bead of silicone adhesive between the spacers might be even better, but I would go wax under the bottom spacer so that you can pull this if you need to. I am not a pro.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why stop 1/2 inch below the floor?
I think you misread his comment--the high side is above the floor by an amount that is just under 1/2".

1/2" sounds too much to me, as does the ~3/8" delta between the sides, but I don't have the experience to say it wouldn't work.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks