Direct vent vs top vent recessed furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

puddi

Reaction score
I'm going to install a wall-recessed furnace and would appreciate some information.

I'm puzzled by the very different venting requirements of the "top vent" vs "direct vent" recessed furnaces. From the names alone, the only difference is the source of combustion air. But there's obviously more going on because the direct-vent needs just a short sidewall exhaust whereas the top-vent needs a chimney with ample vertical clearance. What's the difference in the furnace designs and exhaust gasses? The direct-vent furnaces are somewhat pricier so I assume there's more going on with them.

thanks!

puddi

Reaction score
Direct vent - vents out the wall
top vent out the top thru the roof and might use oval metalbesto pipe

Thanks for the reply. But... I'm not permitted to just put an elbow on the top-vent furnace and side-vent it out the wall. The vertical vent is required. So what is it that makes the side-vent OK in one case but not the other? It's more than just the geometry of the vent location.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps/likely the vertical vent is natural draft, and the side vent is forced draft (with a fan).

Cheers, Wayne

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. But... I'm not permitted to just put an elbow on the top-vent furnace and side-vent it out the wall. The vertical vent is required. So what is it that makes the side-vent OK in one case but not the other? It's more than just the geometry of the vent location.
Its the design of the heater direct vent out the back not the top. Can't put a elbow and side vent a top vent unit has to vent up. Pick a brand talk with manufacturer. What are you trying to heat and who has sized it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks