• karolanne edwardsNew Member
    having trouble with my shallow well
    * we replaced drop pipe due to breaking and foot valve issue
    * put it back together then primed it- it now holds its prime
    *won't build pressure-- will not rise above 10
    water that comes out of pressure guage spout surges
    * we checked the pressure tank pressure
    * drained and added air-- is holding air but not getting any water into it

Can get water to house with very litttle pressure -- little more than a trickle
    when unscrewing the pressure gauge air bubbles are coming out side of threads while unscrewing

Could the drop pipe not be far enough down in the well to get a good suction?
    NEED HELP!!??

karolanne edwards, Today at 7:44 AMEditReport

Reach4

Reaction score
You probably have a suction leak. Slather all above-ground joints with shaving cream to see where air is getting sucked in.

It is also possible that the drop pipe with the foot valve is not deep enough, but a suction vacuum leak seems more likely. Start where the suction pipe connects to the pump, but test any other joints too.

Is this a 2-inch well? Is the drop pipe with the foot valve 1 inch polyethylene, or glued pvc or what?

This problem is not caused by your pressure tank.

Last edited:

karolanne edwards

Reaction score
yes and yes pvc glued well is from 2005 and new pump last year
my dad bought the land and bulit it, unforunately he died 2016 , man I miss that Man!
so i didnt pay well enough attention to everything
i remember when it was drilled but i dont know how deep , mother doesnt remember,
i know that he has pulled the pipe at least once
note we dropped drop pipe down the well
could this be the issue or another issue?

could it be a clogged jet due to dirt and sand coming our pipes? lots of sand and clay

Please help we have four kids 9 8 7 soon to 6 years and my husband suffers brain damage from a car accident ...
there are good days and bad days and we do our best!

Reach4

Reaction score
A clogged jet won't bring air in, and you observed air escaping from the gauge port and probably other places.

The aerosol shaving cream/foam is still pretty available, and that could make checking for a vacuum leak from an accessible joint pretty graphic. An alternative is while the pump is pumping, a sopping wet sponge or rag wetting a joint can make a sound change and a pressure rise when you wet the bad joint.
could it be a clogged jet due to dirt and sand coming our pipes? lots of sand and clay
could try cleaning that jet in case it helps.
A piece of a wire coat hanger used to be a common wire to use. A piece of bare 12 AWG copper wire might be easier to find today.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pressure-drops-quick.67304/page-2#post-500629
rjs-prem-cutaway-with-callouts.jpg

Your pump probably does not have a capacitor, but this picture shows the nozzle+venturi plus the cleanout plug.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks