Rsmith99

Reaction score
9FF0E2FC-2074-423C-A833-D6628AD36E0A.jpeg
4909994F-D015-4CD0-9D43-990E7AE58DBA.jpeg
9A470DFD-0374-4B42-9C3E-7E87087A2FB3.jpeg
B0B4D880-594F-479C-A40F-7F1B849121E6.jpeg
47BDA547-736B-41FA-BEB8-3D253AABBA6A.jpeg

I hooked up my sink today.
When I tested it for leaks, I found I had a leak between the sink and the rubber drain washer.
Not below the rubber washer, above it.
I took the drain apart and discovered there is a small chip on the edge of the drain, where the rubber washer should seal.
I’m not sure how to get this to work. This is an under mount sink, so changing the sink would be a major deal.
I have attached some pictures. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is an acceptable place and time for a sealant like a Silicone or a Liquid gasket such as Griiip. Silicone is probably easier to use and more readily available. Thin layer about a 1/16 inch thick. Have someone hold the drain body with putty already installed down while you work the rubber gasket up carefully.

One contractor I work with has a policy that all undermount sinks installation must have the ability to be removed and replaced after installation without damaging the counter or the cabinetry.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
That is an acceptable place and time for a sealant like a Silicone or a Liquid gasket such as Griiip. Silicone is probably easier to use and more readily available. Thin layer about a 1/16 inch thick. Have someone hold the drain body with putty already installed down while you work the rubber gasket up carefully.

One contractor I work with has a policy that all undermount sinks installation must have the ability to be removed and replaced after installation without damaging the counter or the cabinetry.
How tight should the drain nut be? I don’t want to break the sink.
Thanks for the help!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tight enough to not leak... with the silicone that won't need to be much more than hand tight plus a full turn with a wrench maybe. But the test will be if you can spin the drain with your hands its too loose. I would add some Pipe dope or silicone to the threads of the drain body where the rubber should seal against it.. if you're not tightening it as much as it normally would, that would be the other place that gasket could leak.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I tried installing a Moen faucet with plastic drain today. After two tries with it I went out to the van and grabbed a metal pop-up drain.
I tossed the plastic drain that came with the faucet.
And yes, with your sink, the Silicone may be a good idea.

faucet-nut-tool-terrylove-03.jpg

Brass drain.

faucet-nut-tool-terrylove-02.jpg

Could not remove these, and too far back in the cabinet to put much on them.

faucet-nut-tool-terrylove-01.jpg

Went out to the van and notched some 1-1/2" ABS and made a tool that I could grip with both hands.

Last edited:

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I tried installing a Moen faucet with plastic drain today. After two tries with it I went out to the van and grabbed a metal pop-up drain.
I tossed the plastic drain that came with the faucet.
And yes, with your sink, the Silicone may be a good idea.

faucet-nut-tool-terrylove-03.jpg

Brass drain.

faucet-nut-tool-terrylove-02.jpg

Could not remove these, and too far back in the cabinet to put much on them.

faucet-nut-tool-terrylove-01.jpg

Went out to the van and notched some 1-1/2" ABS and made a tool that I could grip with both hands.
Terry, would you still dope the threads?
Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks