Tub Drain Type & Brand advice sought

Users who are viewing this thread

GA_

Reaction score
I'm going to replace three current twist type tub drains with toe tapper type drains.
I'd welcome some advice.

1. The flanges ( or shoe - the metal part that seals or screws to the PVC drain and stays in the bottom of the tub) have become pitted and corroded. This started after only a few years old, I presume due to cheap parts. This part is better replaced by a plumber since if not done correctly it will leak. Plumber told me to get all the parts before he shows up. I would like to buy replacements that will stay looking good longer without pitting or corroding.

What brand or materials should I look for? How do I determine if I need a 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" replacement?

2. The plug stopper part will be a toe tap type because they look good, seem easier to operate and easy to remove for cleaning, and easy to replace if needed.

What brand is better than others?

They sell kits with both the above parts plus an overflow drain cover.
The Delta brand kits are $80. I'm presume they are good quality.
The HD/Lowes kits are $10. I presume they won't last.
What is a good brand/model number/material that is durable, finish will last but might not be quite as costly as the Delta brand?

Thanks.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
FIND another plumber

The "plumber" who stated

"Plumber told me to get all the parts before he shows up."

In my opinion not worth even considering to hire

When my employees are asked about parts we ask a picture be taken and sent to us so we will supply parts

Because of liability we very seldom install "parts supplied by others"

GA_

Reaction score
FIND another plumber

The "plumber" who stated

"Plumber told me to get all the parts before he shows up."

In my opinion not worth even considering to hire

When my employees are asked about parts we ask a picture be taken and sent to us so we will supply parts

Because of liability we very seldom install "parts supplied by others"
Thanks. Unfortunately, that is easier said than done in this environment. In my part of the country plumbers are booked months out. This guy comes highly recommended. He is a two person operation, and indicated ordering specialty parts such as toe touch drains takes too much time, so he prefers I just buy.

My main concern is that the piece that stays attached to the tub and connects to the PVC drain be long lasting. Any recommendations?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Ask the plumber if you take a picture would that help . I never used a PVC drain only non ferrous metal

GA_

Reaction score
Ask the plumber if you take a picture would that help . I never used a PVC drain only non ferrous metal
He just wants me to get the drain type and finish I want and have it ready for him. Seems reasonable enough.
I don't think these parts are PVC. They tie into (screw into?) the pvc drain pipe under the tub. I have never seen one under a tub that is not PVC except in an old house where they are cast iron.

Presumably Delta is a good brand, although pricey. Does the finish last? I'm fine going forward with this if they last
The Brasstech brand is more expensive than the Delta. May be worth it if the Delta finish does not last.
I know some of the cheap stuff is plastic with a coating to look like metal. That seems like a poor idea, but maybe I'm wrong.
Is Jones Stephans a good brand? They have what are called "Toe Touch conversion kits" that look like they have all the parts I need.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would recomend that you buy a quality product from Kohler. It will likely thread into the base shoe that you have. The overflow may be another matter, so a photo of that may help in selecting a fit for that.

K-7142

Kohler Drain

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In new construction we're mainly installing PVC or ABS tub drains. Inspectors want the tub drains without the connections that can loosen in concealed spaces. Sylvan works in NYC, lot's of high rise and it appears much different than what most of us are doing residentially.
We do a lot of solvent weld drains, stuff that is glued up. No slip joint nuts and washers.

I can't tell you quality wise which of the components are going to last longer for tub drains. They all seem pretty equal to me.
I install Watco most of the time.
I just looks at the Delta site. Wow! They charge a lot for a few fittings. I suppose if you're matching finish to the faucets and other hardware it makes sense though.

tub-drain-fittings-terrylove-01.jpg

watco-901-02.jpg

watco-901-01.jpg

https://www.woodfordmfg.com/WATCO/Index.html

https://ipscorp.com/plumbing/brands/aba/waste-overflow/

Last edited:

GA_

Reaction score
Thank you. I looked up Watco.

All of this work is being done from the tub - the plumbing under the tub and behind the wall is not easily accessible without cutting out gyp board which I prefer not to get into.

So I only want to replace the parts that are replaced from the tub - the parts with the metal finish. Can I get this Watco kit and they just use the parts installed from the tub and not use the PVC piping parts?
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Watco-9...lzewP1zeLOsum_1pEYovoU8daYc1z60oaAqlhEALw_wcB

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Metal tub drains tend to have a fine thread and the plastic drains tend to have the coarse threads.
I would guess that it will work.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hello Terry.

We are completing several one famly homes in Riverdale section of the Bronx

All of these houses were piped with type L tubing above ground K copper below and the vents and waste lines are all cast iron although plastic is allowed we only use it for chemical waste and Chlorine for pool applications

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks