Pipe Tapping, then Banging? Also, some gasping from BTHRM sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Elizabeth Brammer

Reaction score
FIRST: Here is the problem, This Time

a) FYI- I live on the 2nd FL of a 3 FL apartment complex
Last night I flushed the toilet and heard the following sound.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvNlLICQtuTAkcQY0SrJ-tvIFmBZKA

This was close to 2am, so nothing else was going on. No laundry, no showers, no excessive water use
Obviously, that is unsettling.
PLEASE HELP with ANY Feedback

I also have previous concerns that only add to the concern.

This is my sink drain making noise, after Mx (Maintenance) ensured that the condensate line was not clogged.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvNlLICQtuTAkcQtyE2VuqgycHhDLg

This is the noise I began to notice from the pipes, shortly after my concern over the sink drain sound began.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvNlLICQtuTAkb4vXFCuqq9g5dGuYw
MAYBE, I began to notice the pipe noise a little more due to my concern and heightened awareness of possible Plumbing/ HVAC issues. Regardless, the situation justified some professional input.​

This is all previous to the above- in order
1st –I requested Mx ensure that the condensate drain line was unclogged
2nd – After the Sink Drain sound I requested Mx ensure that the P-Trap was functioning correctly.

After SEVERAL back and forth visits they brought in a Plumber.

The plumber was a very nice guy.
He tried to leave just letting me know that the sound the sink drain was making was because of the a/c. I already knew that, but anyway.
I asked about the pipe sounds. He said that he was not hearing anything, etc.…
I played him the recording I linked, previously, in this post.
I also asked if he felt that the pipes were strapped down securely.​

He didn’t like the sounds but looked at our regular Mx guy and decided that instead of encouraging concern that would require sections of sheet rock to be removed, he told me it was probably just the building settling.
Fine, sort of. I mean I don’t really want to have to take the sheet rock out of the walls, but at the same time, I do not really want to try to salvage items due to faulty plumbing and lack of proper building standards​

The plumber also said that the P-Trap was fine.
I asked about the condensate drain line. The evaporator Coils. The Drip Pan.
- “Yep, all fine”
PROBLEM:
1) I have a ceiling mounted a/c unit
2) You have to remove the shower rod in order to even open the cover to the a/c cover
- They did not do that
3) The following day I looked under my sink and saw that the flex hose that attaches the condensate line to my sink has a kink in it.
- Does it seem odd that a plumber would not either notice, or perhaps notice and not do anything about it, or even mention it?

Picture of Kinked Flex Hose

pinched-condensate-line.jpg

Anyway, that is a pre story in case it helps to answer any questions, or sheds light on the ‘This Time Problem’

PLEASE HELP!!!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Sounds more mechanical. The hose is kinked but not completely blocked and if it was blocked it b=never could make a noise like that. If all of the sounds come from the drains, does it happen all the time especially the flushing of the toilet? I'm first suspecting something with the venting. Is there a condensate pump used for the AC drain? Your neighbors above and below would also be hearing it.

A three floor apartment building should be all vented through the roof. Ask Mx if AAV's are used anywhere. I doubt it since it probably the building is classed as a commercial building. An AAv is a check valve that allows air into the drain pipe when water drains. It's usually plastic with a gasket to seal it. Just wondering that it it might be virabing as the air is pulled in.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On the toilet noise, make sure that the shutoff at the wall is open all the way. Sometimes a loose rubber washer will flutter when water is passing by.

Pipe knocks in walls sometimes happen after hot water has been run. The pipe enlarges because of the heat, and then cools and returns to it's original size. If the holes are binding the pipe, it will make a knocking sound as it pulls past.

Elizabeth Brammer

Reaction score
Sounds more mechanical. The hose is kinked but not completely blocked and if it was blocked it b=never could make a noise like that. If all of the sounds come from the drains, does it happen all the time especially the flushing of the toilet? I'm first suspecting something with the venting. Is there a condensate pump used for the AC drain? Your neighbors above and below would also be hearing it.

A three floor apartment building should be all vented through the roof. Ask Mx if AAV's are used anywhere. I doubt it since it probably the building is classed as a commercial building. An AAv is a check valve that allows air into the drain pipe when water drains. It's usually plastic with a gasket to seal it. Just wondering that it it might be virabing as the air is pulled in.

That is a good question. I cannot imagine there would not be a condensate pump- but then again I suppose I also can imagine it.
The building, I believe, is classified as 'multi-family residential'

I will ask Mx if AAV's are used anywhere, but I highly doubt they know.
I have to explain pretty much all of my Mx requests IN DETAIL if it requires knowledge of the different applicable parts, of whatever the concern.
Ideas what might be wrong and then I give them ways to try to figure it out.
Diagrams, helpful PDFs.

I will ask about the AAVs
THANK YOU!!!!

Wish me Luck!

Elizabeth Brammer

Reaction score

Oh ALSO
The Flex Hose
Important??

Elizabeth Brammer

Reaction score
On the toilet noise, make sure that the shutoff at the wall is open all the way. Sometimes a loose rubber washer will flutter when water is passing by.

Pipe knocks in walls sometimes happen after hot water has been run. The pipe enlarges because of the heat, and then cools and returns to it's original size. If the holes are binding the pipe, it will make a knocking sound as it pulls past.
Will Check for loose rubber washer.....if I can

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks