Toto Drake Hissing

Users who are viewing this thread

Dannn

Reaction score
Our Toto Drake has started making a constant hissing sound. When I turn off the supply from the wall it stops. The water level in the tank seems to be higher than it was previously, it's about level with the tube I put the red arrow next to in the picture. Does the fill assembly need to be replaced (the blue part with the stem underneath?)? Seem crazy that it would happen to a toilet that's only a couple years old.

st743st-inside-05.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The fill assembly does need to be addressed.
There are parts that can be replaced, namely two: The cap (under the blue cover), but also, I find that can be only half the problem, because the float has a small black gasket and floats are impossible to find.
So you can order the whole thing and replace the parts you need (Korky or Hunter are the same thing), or get a Fluidmaster 400H-002, which has a nice refill adjuster to allow peak performance, and then, a <$2. part to keep running over the years.

korky-float-pivot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dannn

Reaction score
The fill assembly does need to be addressed.
There are parts that can be replaced, namely two: The cap (under the blue cover), but also, I find that can be only half the problem, because the float has a small black gasket and floats are impossible to find.
So you can order the whole thing and replace the parts you need (Korky or Hunter are the same thing), or get a Fluidmaster 400H-002, which has a nice refill adjuster to allow peak performance, and then, a <$2. part to keep running over the years.

Thanks! Is there anything I should try before replacing the valve?

Would this one work? I'm pretty sure the one I have now isn't adjustable.

Korky/TOTO TSU99A.X

korky-toto-white-box-600.jpg

https://terrylove.com/korky/

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When it gets old, the most common thing to go wrong with that valve is the seal in the cap. It's quick and easy to replace with no tools. If it doesn't fix it (it usually does), you're golden. If not, you may need to replace the whole valve. Depending on how old the fill valve is, Toto may send you the parts. Over the last 20-years, I've always been able to fix it with just the cap...if your water is really nasty, I guess the seal on the float might go, but so far, over a bunch of toilets, it has not hit me (yet).

Dannn

Reaction score
When it gets old, the most common thing to go wrong with that valve is the seal in the cap. It's quick and easy to replace with no tools. If it doesn't fix it (it usually does), you're golden. If not, you may need to replace the whole valve. Depending on how old the fill valve is, Toto may send you the parts. Over the last 20-years, I've always been able to fix it with just the cap...if your water is really nasty, I guess the seal on the float might go, but so far, over a bunch of toilets, it has not hit me (yet).

Hmm, I just took it apart and the valve looked okay, not that I really know what to look for though. I'm going to have to order the part since I won't be able to get it locally. I'm thinking I'll just replace the whole assembly and be done with it rather than trying to figure out exactly what it is.

Do you know if this assembly would work? https://www.amazon.com/Korky-528-Corky-Toilet-Universal/dp/B00002N6MY/

I'm not sure why it's so much cheaper than the one I linked above/

Reach4

Reaction score
You could check your water pressure.

The fill valve is more likely the problem, however.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You may find this one may work better. Korky 528MP QuietFILL Platinum Fill Valve-Fits Most Toilets-Easy to Install-Made in USA, Universal 99%, Black - Flush Valves - Amazon.com

Any fill valve can get the tank the right level, but if I understand this one, it allows you to adjust how much goes into the bowl. Excess water there just goes down the drain, wasting it. Not enough means it won't flush properly. Ideally, the tank refills just as the bowl gets to the full level, too. That bowl refill water comes via the overflow tube with that hose...this one has an adjustable valve there to get it just right.

The one from the factory has a restrictor in that line to get it just right without operator adjustment.

Did you take the cap off to look at it? When new, the rubber is a nice smooth dome. When it gets old, it gets formed to the shape of the cage beneath it, gets brittle, and can crack.

Dannn

Reaction score
You may find this one may work better.
Any fill valve can get the tank the right level, but if I understand this one, it allows you to adjust how much goes into the bowl. Excess water there just goes down the drain, wasting it. Not enough means it won't flush properly. Ideally, the tank refills just as the bowl gets to the full level, too. That bowl refill water comes via the overflow tube with that hose...this one has an adjustable valve there to get it just right.

The one from the factory has a restrictor in that line to get it just right without operator adjustment.

Did you take the cap off to look at it? When new, the rubber is a nice smooth dome. When it gets old, it gets formed to the shape of the cage beneath it, gets brittle, and can crack.

Ah I see, thanks! Do pretty much all of the fill valves for these toilets use the same cap? I doubt I'll be able to just get a cap in my town, but I'll probably be able to get a whole assembly, wondering if I can try taking the cap out of a new assembly and putting it in the existing one to try it before replacing the whole thing.

Yeah I took the cap off, it looked like it was pretty much new, no cracks or anything so I'm wondering if something else is wrong.

I think I'm going to try cleaning the parts like shown on this page I found: TOT 200 A INSERT (bayplumbingsupply.com)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I think all of the Korky Quietfill valves use the same cap.

Check the float. There's a small weep hole in it that can give issues if it gets clogged.

The cap wears out faster if you have high water pressure or heavily treated water. Those on a well may get much longer life out of them without the chemicals or higher pressure you can often see in municipal water supplies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks