Strange winter only water issue in side bedroom

Users who are viewing this thread

CaliSkier

Reaction score
Hi,

I looking for some advice, let me get right to it. We bought a property and are renting it to the owners who are about to move out. We had a nice discussion with them yesterday but towards the end they mentioned this issue, I do not yet have more information but I am going to talk to them again...

Side bedroom of this house has a winter only water issue where the wood flooring in the room rotted out and had to be replaced with carpet. The furniture in said area of the room had to be replaced because it became damaged. This room is on the front left corner of the house, there is a water faucet on the left corner of that room facing the front of the house. I do not believe there are any other water lines near this issue. Bathroom is across the hall and I am 99% sure sewer lines go to the back yard and not the front so its not sewer, and it does not smell. I believe its PEX tubing. EDIT: Owner stated that he ran a hose on the window for a few minutes and did not see anything coming in. Also let water pool in front of the house where the flowerbed is and did not see any indication of seepage. There is a little bit of a slope from the neighbors house to the left and a small retaining or water diversion wall. The small strip of land between the house and that wall is very flat and I could see water pooling there, but we get very heavy May rains and I would think this would happen year round.

I know this is vague, but even ideas of what this might be would be helpful.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
IMPOSSIBLE to answer

Need pictures, need some type of blue prints, need input from the old owner , need approved inspection papers

Reach4

Reaction score
This is a stretch. Maybe they ran a humidifier that added a lot of moisture to the air. Maybe bad insulation in that area makes water condense there? That would be a wall thing, but that could drip down. See if that wall is hotter in summer, and if it is, expect it to be colder in winter.

CaliSkier

Reaction score
This is a stretch. Maybe they ran a humidifier that added a lot of moisture to the air. Maybe bad insulation in that area makes water condense there? That would be a wall thing, but that could drip down. See if that wall is hotter in summer, and if it is, expect it to be colder in winter.

THAT would be a good thing to ask them about a humidifier.

Sounds like a ground water issue if it's only Winter. Does the land slope toward the house? And is it slab on grade?

Thanks Terry, The land slopes away from the house, kinda. We are flat here in Oklahoma but the house next to them is about a foot higher up but there is a little retaining wall they built to stop water. This is a good question you are asking me, making me think.
I forgot to mention in my original post that he said he the put a hose up to the window for a couple minutes and it did not leak through. Also let water pool in front of the house (not on the side where the little retaining wall is), and did not see that it was coming in. I will try to edit the original.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks