Toto TSPTM bonnet removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Shark

Reaction score
Hello all,

This forum is invaluable. Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I have a question about replacing the cartridge in my shower. I open up the trim and this is what I get. Instructions say to unscrew the bonnet to get at the cartridge but is there a special tool to get it out? I asked Toto and they told me to use a large crescent wrench. This bonnet is about two inches in diameter. I tried channel locks but it would not grip it properly (the bonnet is fairly thin) and it wouldn’t budge. Any ideas before I go hunt for a really large crescent wrench that I’m unlikely to use again?

toto-tsptm-bonnet-1.jpg

toto-tsptm-valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello all,

This forum is invaluable. Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I have a question about replacing the cartridge in my shower. I open up the trim and this is what I get. Instructions say to unscrew the bonnet to get at the cartridge but is there a special tool to get it out? I asked Toto and they told me to use a large crescent wrench. This bonnet is about two inches in diameter. I tried channel locks but it would not grip it properly (the bonnet is fairly thin) and it wouldn’t budge. Any ideas before I go hunt for a really large crescent wrench that I’m unlikely to use again

Large crescent or hex pipe wrench.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

hex-wrench.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-8-in-to-2-5-8-in-E-110-Hex-Wrench-31305/100151329

with spray lubricant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A very large socket with a breaker bar might be better. You might not be able to get that spud wrench close enough to the correct plane as the bonnet.

Also, place a LOT of protective padding on the floor in case you drop any heavy tool. It will crack tiles if it falls.

Shark

Reaction score
A very large socket with a breaker bar might be better. You might not be able to get that spud wrench close enough to the correct plane as the bonnet.

Also, place a LOT of protective padding on the floor in case you drop any heavy tool. It will crack tiles if it falls.

You hit the nail on the head. The wrench did not help because the bonnet sits almost flush with the tile. The wrench just can’t grip the bonnet. I guess it’s still good to have the wrench as a tool. Any suggestions on a good breaker bar? Thank you.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. The wrench did not help because the bonnet sits almost flush with the tile. The wrench just can’t grip the bonnet. I guess it’s still good to have the wrench as a tool. Any suggestions on a good breaker bar? Thank you.

Since I rely on my tools to work day in and day out and never fail, I only buy US made sockets/wrenches etc. My go to has always been Craftsman. But I'm no longer certain where they're made. When I see old tools at garage or estate sales, I buy them. But in your case since you're not taking a 400ft pound nut off a transaxle, a big box store brand would do the trick and be backed by a warranty.

I would buy a 1/2 drive breaker, a 2" extension and the appropriate sized socket.

Of course, be careful that the whole valve doesn't twist and rip the copper apart

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks