How to install Delta 50150 body spray

Users who are viewing this thread

SweatOrPex

Reaction score
Hi, I'm doing a new shower set up using a Delta R10000-UNWSHF (shower only) with a Delta R11000 Multi-function to shower head, hand wand and 4 Delta 50150 body spray on a pressure circuit.

This is a silly question, but what type of brass nipple do I need? Is it just a 1/2 inch male to male MIP/NPT like this one?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-x-Close-MIP-Brass-Hex-Nipple-Fitting-802279/207176608

Appreciate all your help in advance

50150-B1.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, that is basically the correct nipple.. tho generally they wouldn't have the Hex nut in the center, just circular pipe. It might not matter in your case.

Typically a plumber would have a rack of varying lenghts of pipe nipples to select from usually 5 or 6 of every size from Close to 6"..

The blue things are a plastic stub out. They're intended to plug the outlets for pressure testing and to be used as a guide for tile installation. I stopped using them when careless people on job sites broke a couple and they leaked in the walls.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The installation is pretty specific on these too.

*Note: This installation requires a 1/2" male threaded pipe fitting to extend 1/4" beyond the finished surface.

https://s1.img-b.com/build.com/mediabase/specifications/delta/231011/delta-50150-spec-sheet.pdf

delta-50150-installation.jpg

Rough-in Suggestion: This installation requires a 1/2” male threaded pipe fitting to extend 1/4” beyond the finished surface.
The plumber should install a properly anchored 1/2” female pipe fitting (i.e. a drop-ear ell) recessed into the wall, into which a brass pipe nipple of proper length can be fitted once the finished wall is complete.
Note: The hole size opening should be 1.5”max diameter

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes, it might be easier to use copper pipe and threaded fittings soldered on each end if a 'stock' nipple won't get the length just right. Some places might cut you a custom-length nipple, but I'd still probably just use copper pipe and fittings. Probably type-L, (not -M), as it's thicker walled.

Buying your own die and handle would work, but that's likely an expensive option for something you wouldn't need again down the road. Holding the pipe while you cut the threads can be messy, and tear up the pipe or crush it into an oval without the right tools, too.

SweatOrPex

Reaction score
The installation is pretty specific on these too.

*Note: This installation requires a 1/2" male threaded pipe fitting to extend 1/4" beyond the finished surface.

https://s1.img-b.com/build.com/mediabase/specifications/delta/231011/delta-50150-spec-sheet.pdf

delta-50150-installation.jpg

Rough-in Suggestion: This installation requires a 1/2” male threaded pipe fitting to extend 1/4” beyond the finished surface.
The plumber should install a properly anchored 1/2” female pipe fitting (i.e. a drop-ear ell) recessed into the wall, into which a brass pipe nipple of proper length can be fitted once the finished wall is complete.
Note: The hole size opening should be 1.5”max diameter
Does any male to male brass nipple NPT work? I see them at Home Depot but the reviews show people using them for air compressor tools.
Thank you for your very detailed reply!! I have the elbows, and the body spray, just wondering about what kind of nipple to get.

Another question, should I plumb the elbow close to the tile/hole, or further back with a longer nipple. any pro/cons to either route

SweatOrPex

Reaction score
Sometimes, it might be easier to use copper pipe and threaded fittings soldered on each end if a 'stock' nipple won't get the length just right. Some places might cut you a custom-length nipple, but I'd still probably just use copper pipe and fittings. Probably type-L, (not -M), as it's thicker walled.

Buying your own die and handle would work, but that's likely an expensive option for something you wouldn't need again down the road. Holding the pipe while you cut the threads can be messy, and tear up the pipe or crush it into an oval without the right tools, too.

This would be a project for me. Would it be fairly easy to solder the threads on?
Would I just buy the butane, flux , sandpaper, wire brush and solder? I watched a couple of videos and I think I can do it

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does any male to male brass nipple NPT work? I see them at Home Depot but the reviews show people using them for air compressor tools.
Thank you for your very detailed reply!! I have the elbows, and the body spray, just wondering about what kind of nipple to get.

Another question, should I plumb the elbow close to the tile/hole, or further back with a longer nipple. any pro/cons to either route

I prefer to have my elbow deeper in the wall which gives me more options. I don't know how much Plus/Minus the fixture has in it to know how close to exact you need to be compared to their instructions of 1/4 beyond finish. That can be a hard target to hit. But if you buy your nipple and install your rough in to match that projection beyond your finish you should be set..

If you're doing your own tile or finish surface then you can work towards that as your end goal. Or if you're having someone else do it, find out from them if they think the area your body sprays will end up is going to need to be furred out or not based on how plumb the wall is.

Dont solder your own "nipples" from copper and male adapters unless you have to. Its a lot of unnecessary work and is the weakest link in your system. Only make your own as a last ditch effort if a regular brass elbow just isn't working.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Brass nipples work IF they're the right length! Unless you have the ability to thread your own, they tend to come in fairly standard sizes (often, in a good supply shop, you might find them in 1/2" increments)...but, there's only so much leeway in how much you can tighten the nipple into the fittings. You can often get maybe an extra turn, maybe two above where it would normally seal, but not always depending on the fitting and the nipple used.

What would be ideal, maybe, is having access to the wall behind the shower so you could adjust where the blocking was and adapt that to where the fitting needs to be anchored.

Rainer

Reaction score
Be careful on ebay- there were a few sellers selling delta and showing images of delta stuff but sending what you could get Chinese junk online for 1/5 the price- I thought I was missing delta hardware until I ordered true delta body sprays'

2021-06-12 14_55_26-Window.jpg

SweatOrPex

Reaction score
Be careful on ebay- there were a few sellers selling delta and showing images of delta stuff but sending what you could get Chinese junk online for 1/5 the price- I thought I was missing delta hardware until I ordered true delta body sprays'

View attachment 74446
I ordered my sprays off Build.com. It. did not come with the threaded male nipple. Is that picture the real one or a fake one?

SweatOrPex

Reaction score
Brass nipples work IF they're the right length! Unless you have the ability to thread your own, they tend to come in fairly standard sizes (often, in a good supply shop, you might find them in 1/2" increments)...but, there's only so much leeway in how much you can tighten the nipple into the fittings. You can often get maybe an extra turn, maybe two above where it would normally seal, but not always depending on the fitting and the nipple used.

What would be ideal, maybe, is having access to the wall behind the shower so you could adjust where the blocking was and adapt that to where the fitting needs to be anchored.
This is a brilliant idea. I will have access to the wall behind the shower (its in an attic space). Worst case scenario I can adjust it from behind.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
What you need to be very careful with is getting the fitting so that it comes out exactly perpendicular to the wall, as otherwise, the body will end up cocked, so it's not only the length, but the orientation that has to be correct.

SweatOrPex

Reaction score
What you need to be very careful with is getting the fitting so that it comes out exactly perpendicular to the wall, as otherwise, the body will end up cocked, so it's not only the length, but the orientation that has to be correct.
Didn't think about that, especially when adjusting it after its in. I'll use a level with the rough in test plug

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're making this a LOT more complicated than it needs to be. Figure out your estimated finished depth from the wall and install your nipple so that it extends 1/4" to the face past that finished dimension. The finished piece will have a tolerance (i havent installed one of those exact pieces but delta isn't in the business of selling stuff to homeowners that has to be paper thin margins of error. they know their market) which will allow some in and out play. When you rough in your drop ear elbow, buy some Long nipples that you can place a torpedo level on to make sure they're as level and straight from your wall as possible.. again, a small amount of imperfection is ok.. but start with the best installation.

You can toenail in your blocking which would be solid enough for the job, but still accessible later from behind. Mount the drop ears good and solid with 1.5" long screws. You can make micro adjustments with the nipples by how under or over tightening slightly and by adding or detracting teflon tape.

make sure you build a good pressure loop if you have multiple body body sprays.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The bigger the attached flange, the more amplification of error you'll see if it's not perpendicular to the wall.

It can be even worse on toilet flanges, or something like a bonded membrane shower drain. The Kerdi shower drain is 11-13/16" in diameter, so a slight offset from plumb can cock an edge quite a bit.

Some of the Kohler body sprays need the nipple extension to be within 1/16", or it just won't fit. Hopefully, the Delta ones are a bit more forgiving.

SweatOrPex

Reaction score
You're making this a LOT more complicated than it needs to be. Figure out your estimated finished depth from the wall and install your nipple so that it extends 1/4" to the face past that finished dimension. The finished piece will have a tolerance (i havent installed one of those exact pieces but delta isn't in the business of selling stuff to homeowners that has to be paper thin margins of error. they know their market) which will allow some in and out play. When you rough in your drop ear elbow, buy some Long nipples that you can place a torpedo level on to make sure they're as level and straight from your wall as possible.. again, a small amount of imperfection is ok.. but start with the best installation.

You can toenail in your blocking which would be solid enough for the job, but still accessible later from behind. Mount the drop ears good and solid with 1.5" long screws. You can make micro adjustments with the nipples by how under or over tightening slightly and by adding or detracting teflon tape.

make sure you build a good pressure loop if you have multiple body body sprays.

Thank you. I do think I am making this more complicated. With all these great tips I definitely feel more confident about this now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks