Wiremold on ungrounded circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

Spielbass

Reaction score
It appears to me that NEC 250.86 allows for extending a circuit with raceway (Wiremold) on an ungrounded circuit up to 25 feet. Can someone please verify whether I read that correctly. Thanks for your help.

Neil

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Based on the question, you are presumably asking about metallic Wiremold. As Wiremold is usually run exposed, how would you comply with part (4) of Exception (1) which requires the Wiremold to be "guarded against contact by persons"? If it's covered up, a different metallic raceway would make more sense. But as the circuit is ungrounded, I would suggest a non-metallic wiring method. E.g. non-metallic wiremold.

Cheers, Wayne

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

Spielbass

Reaction score
Based on the question, you are presumably asking about metallic Wiremold. As Wiremold is usually run exposed, how would you comply with part (4) of Exception (1) which requires the Wiremold to be "guarded against contact by persons"? If it's covered up, a different metallic raceway would make more sense. But as the circuit is ungrounded, I would suggest a non-metallic wiring method. E.g. non-metallic wiremold.

Cheers, Wayne
Sorry I wasn't more specific. Yes, I had planned to use non-metallic Wiremold.

Spielbass

Reaction score
I think you're cutting out parts on your assumption. https://www.electricallicenserenewa...tion-Courses/NEC-Content.php?sectionID=1007.0

What do you need to do?

I have a receptacle behind a bed, and I want to use the Wiremold to extend out to each side of the bed, about 3 feet in either direction. One duplex receptacle on either side of the bed.
I've read the exemptions, and by using non-metallic Wiremold this seems to meet all, except that "guarded from contact by persons" is a bit ambiguous. Does that mean the Wiremold has to be in a place where nobody can possibly touch it?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you use non-metallic wiremold and a non-metallic box, then 250.86 is moot, as there are no metallic raceways or enclosures involved.

If your receptacle behind the bed does not have an EGC, then it should be a 2 prong receptacle, unless you either (a) comply with 250.130(C) to provide an EGC or (b) comply with 406.4(D).

Since 406.4(D) only discusses receptacle replacement, I believe you are not allowed to extend an ungrounded circuit without complying with 250.130(C) to turn it into a grounded circuit. Edit: Often complying with 250.130(C) is no easier than running a new grounded circuit to the area, which is then a better solution.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Norcal01

Reaction score
Extending the circuit triggers AFCI, & tamperproof receptacle requirements, better to run a new circuit rather then deal with ancient wiring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks