How do I stop my American Standard Reliant lavatory faucet from leaking?

How do I stop the American Standard Reliant lavatory faucet (hot only) leak?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Manco

Reaction score
How do I stop my American Standard Reliant lavatory faucet from leaking? It doesn't have a big leak but it's big enough to keep things (like the floor of my vanity) wet most or all of the time.

In the second attachment you can see a drip in the middle hole of the vanity. Sometimes I notice a drip on one of the bolts that are now rusted.

American Standard Reliant.jpg
American Standard leak.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is a typical sign of water getting underneath the faucet. You'll have to remove the faucet and reset it with plumbers putty under the base.

Manco

Reaction score
Assuming the water follows gravity, what keeps the water from accumulating around the inside of the faucet? I'm a novice, and what you said leads me to believe that the plumber's putty just keeps the water from "going further downhill" (sorry, I don't know the right words to explain everything).

Also, I notice water accumulating in small amounts around the faucet when either the hot or cold water is turned on.

Thank you for responding!

If possible, I want to keep water from accumulating.

Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want to test where the water is coming from, turn the faucet on and look underneath with a flashlight to see where it is leaking, if you don't see any drips then pour some water around the base of the faucet and look again with the flash light. The only other explanation would be that your bathroom is super humid.

Manco

Reaction score
If you want to test where the water is coming from, turn the faucet on and look underneath with a flashlight to see where it is leaking
I have personally seen the drips coming from the hole in the attachment picture -- when the hot water is turned on. The drips fall down to the vanity floor.

(I clumsily tried to indicate where the drip appears in my first post.)

Manco

Reaction score
What I did:
1. Turned off the supply lines.
2. Removed the cap.
3. Unloosened the cartridge screws.
4. Replaced the cartridge.
5. Turned on the supply lines.

6. Turned the faucet handle all the way to the left and opened the hot water line for about 30 seconds.
7. Turned the faucet handle all the way to the right and opened the cold water line for about 30 seconds.
8. Filled the basin completely full (to overflowing).
9. Emptied the basin completely.
10. Inspected the vanity for leaks.

All these things were completed about 5 minutes ago, and I haven't seen ONE DROP on the vanity floor since with my drop light.

Small amounts of water still accumulate around the faucet on the top side of the basin.

Even though the cartridge appears to be made of a hard plastic, does anyone here know whether it can eventually wear out (after 15 years of "average use" in a private condo)?

Last edited:

Manco

Reaction score
The leak kept on intermitting, and I think you will be able to see the water marks on the faucet in the attachment. (I subsequently bought a Moen single-handle faucet, and for three days it has worked fine.)

American Standard faucet.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
old trick replace faucet works every time. I like repairing most time, but you got it done

Manco

Reaction score
Home Depot said they would give me a refund on the faucet -- even though the entries on the receipt are barely visible. This time around, I'm going to photocopy the receipt.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Home Depot said they would give me a refund on the faucet -- even though the entries on the receipt are barely visible. This time around, I'm going to photocopy the receipt.
most of the big faucet companies send replacement parts free pretty much lifetime warranty on that stuff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks