Pump acting weird?

Users who are viewing this thread

BullheadPond

Reaction score
So, I hooked up a shallow well pump. Let it run with a garden hose. ran fine for like and hour with no probems.
The pump shut off when the water valve was shut off like it should.
left it off for 1 bout 1 week. When I finally needed it , i opened the spikot valve water came out for about about a minute then the pump went to kick on but listed of running it just hummed and nothing was turning..
I unplugged it and plugged it back in< ( did this twice) and it started running and pumping water.
Now when I turn open the water valve it pumps water, after about a minute the pump kicks on fine now , but after about two- gallons of water the water stops coming out and if you wait like 1-2 minutes the water starts coming out again.
Any ideas?

The pipes do have three spots that have very small leaks. drip's like one drop a minute . they are where the union is just before the pump. I would not think such a small leak Could cause the water to stop coming out of the spikot but I'll say it again i am not a plumber and live in the cut for most of my life so these wells are all new to me.
Any ideas why this could happen?

Reach4

Reaction score
The pipes do have three spots that have very small leaks. drip's like one drop a minute . they are where the union is just before the pump. I would not think such a small leak Could cause the water to stop coming out of the spikot but I'll say it again i am not a plumber and live in the cut for most of my life so these wells are all new to me.
Where is the check valve? Down the well in a foot valve, or is it above ground?

How old is the pump?

BullheadPond

Reaction score

How old is the pump?
check valve is horizontal before the union

How old is the pump?
Pump is new.
Check valve is horizontal before the union.
See ruff drawing.
When I drop a string down the pipe there is 8-9ft of water in the pipe.

Attachments

• Point well & pump setup0001.PDF
    31.1 KB · Views: 140

Reach4

Reaction score
check valve is horizontal before the union
A union that leaks water slowly will leak air in pretty fast when the pump is on. Fix that.
That union and check valve location explains the cycling, but does not explain the pump not starting.

Are you powering the pump with 120 vac and are you sure the pump is set up for 120 ("115")?

BullheadPond

Reaction score
A union that leaks water slowly will leak air in pretty fast when the pump is on. Fix that.
That union and check valve location explains the cycling, but does not explain the pump not starting.

Are you powering the pump with 120 vac and are you sure the pump is set up for 120 ("115")?

What do you mean by the union and check valve explains the cycling?
The pump did not start only the one time , has been starting ever since. Just can;t figure out why water comes out at first then stops and then builds pressure again and starts pumping water.

Reach4

Reaction score
I had suspected that you had a pressure tank and a pressure switch. If you just turn power on and of, then there would be no cycling.

If you were to slather the union with shaving foam and started the pump, I expect you might see the foam getting sucked in during the hum-no-water time.

BullheadPond

Reaction score
I am not following you ? Does this mean you can not use teflon tape or pipe dope on a union ?
The union is between the pump and the check valve . How else would you get the pump disconnected if you need to?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks