Sinks and dishwasher smell like rotting food. Easy fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Freddy

Reaction score
New plumbing and dishwasher installed by kitchen renovation subcontractor plumber. The dishwasher and sinks developed a smell like rotting food. I called plumber a couple of days ago to come back and am waiting. I am just wondering if this can be fixed without dropping the drain pipe in the wall. I know the p trap is too deep at 4 1/4 inches. Also the trap water backs up into the horizontal pipe to the non disposal sink.

upload_2021-5-31_12-0-54.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Let's see a side view of the trap from just below the horizontal white tube. There is a good chance you can reduce the trap depth easily.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes a center outlet works well.

disposer-center-outlet.jpg

The center outlet would let you raise the horizontal higher than the trap arm from the wall.

center-outlet-tee.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Another possibility would be to turn that reversible J-bend around. I think that makes a difference of about 2 inches.

If you could shorten the tailpiece of the right-hand bowl by maybe 3/8 inch or more, you could raise the bottom of the curved discharge tube with a cutter/saw. So you raise the tee by 3/8 inch or more. Then if you could shorten the the tee output by about 1-5/8 inches, then the turned-around J-bend fits.

That is just an alternate idea for reducing the water seal.

I don't know that reducing the water seal is going to help with the smell. With the deep trap, let's say the problem is that with high flows, the trap siphons. That could be worked around by running maybe a cup of water down the drain slowly. That should refill the trap. I am not proposing to do that forever, but it could be a good troubleshooting technique.

Last edited:

Freddy

Reaction score
Sometimes a center outlet works well.

disposer-center-outlet.jpg

The center outlet would let you raise the horizontal higher than the trap arm from the wall.

Thanks. I had tried to find the flanged end straight short pipe to attach to the insinkerator but was unsuccessful. It would open up possibilities.

Freddy

Reaction score
Another possibility would be to turn that reversible J-bend around. I think that makes a difference of about 2 inches.

If you could shorten the tailpiece of the right-hand bowl by maybe 3/8 inch or more, you could raise the bottom of the curved discharge tube with a cutter/saw. So you raise the tee by 3/8 inch or more. Then if you could shorten the the tee output by about 1-5/8 inches, then the turned-around J-bend fits.

That is just an alternate idea for reducing the water seal.

I don't know that reducing the water seal is going to help with the smell. With the deep trap, let's say the problem is that with high flows, the trap siphons. That could be worked around by running maybe a cup of water down the drain slowly. That should refill the trap. I am not proposing to do that forever, but it could be a good troubleshooting technique.
Thanks. The pipe mods looks like the best solution. I had wondered why the trap looked backwards. I’ll see what the plumber proposes and May offer this if he wants to start over .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks