Options for moving drain vent

Users who are viewing this thread

YahtzeeDIY

Reaction score
Ran into a little snag while demo'ing our second story master bath (location: California). There was a tiled bench/ledge that filled in the corner between the vanity and tub. Hiding underneath, is a 1.5" drain vent coming out of the 2x6 external wall before dropping into the sub-floor. The sink drains also come out of the wall in the same fashion. Below the bottom plate of this wall is some sort of engineered wood something or other. The plan was to have a new tiled floor and a freestanding tub, but this vent obviously interferes with that!

What are the options for moving this drain vent? I assume there's some code preventing the notching/drilling of the beam beneath the bottom plate and would explain why this was done in the first place? Could the drain vent be moved more towards the sink area and hidden under that vanity?

We plan on hiring a licensed plumber for the work, but I'd like to get an idea of what we're up against before bringing someone out. Appreciate any and all comments, concerns, and suggestions. I'm not "in the trade" so if any terms I've used are wrong, feel free to correct me.

And yes, that is electrical that is coming out of the far wall before diving into the sub-floor ...

Overview:

IMG_1434.JPG

Top-down, marked up view:

IMG_1435_edit.jpg

The drain vent in question:

IMG_1436.JPG

The engineered wood ???:

IMG_1437.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Using a 2" trap and trap arm for the tub gives you five feet before the vent. Is that enough to get you into the sink cabinet? Some codes allow more length, but you're UPC and not IPC code.
And yes, they were avoiding the engineered beam.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm unclear on the overall geometry of the bathroom drains, but it looks like there's a good chance the tub could be wet vented via the lavatory. In which case that vent could be eliminated. Unless there's something else going on that isn't apparent.

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm unclear on the overall geometry of the bathroom drains, but it looks like there's a good chance the tub could be wet vented via the lavatory. In which case that vent could be eliminated. Unless there's something else going on that isn't apparent.

Cheers, Wayne

Yes, I would also look at that possibility.

YahtzeeDIY

Reaction score
Really appreciate the responses! To answer your questions, the layout was a two-sink vanity about 84" long with a shower adjacent. I can see from the wye that the tub drain is connected to at least one sink drain, though presumably they'd both share. Also, it looks like the shower drain is headed towards the sink/vanity area. Oh, and I don't know if this matters, but the drain vent in question is 1.5".

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

The shower picture was taken from the walkway into the bathroom. There's a water closet and toilet behind me/camera.

I believe 5' would be plenty as the freestanding tub will be larger and the drain will need to move closer to that wall. So it sounds like moving that drain vent into the wall and vanity area would be one option.

How would you determine if wet venting is an appropriate option?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks