Help! Troubleshooting well leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Joeshmo

Reaction score
Hi and thank you for looking at my question. I'm installing a Sandpoint for the first time. Actually the 7th time since I've broken several points in the last several weeks. I finally have a point in at 46 ft deep that is producing water. I have a 2-in casing with an 1 1/4" pipe inside connected to a packer ejector and foot valve. Everything works just fine and I get about 6 gallons per minute but the problem I am having is that when I turn off power to the pump , I'm running on generator, the well water level drops to about 12 ' below ground level. To use the pump again I have to fill it back up and then it runs with no problem. I'm wondering why the water level would drop? The level it's dropping down to does not coincide with any coupler on the drive pipe. The static water level before adding the packer assembly was at 38 ft 10 in. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the leathers and foot valve on the packer are sealing, the water in the casing should not drop. You may have to raise or lower the pipe to get the leathers in a new spot on the casing.

Joeshmo

Reaction score
If the leathers and foot valve on the packer are sealing, the water in the casing should not drop. You may have to raise or lower the pipe to get the leathers in a new spot on the casing.
Thanks. I did try going up a little bit and had the same result. Maybe I need to keep trying at a different height. I was wondering however. If the leathers were letting water past or if it was a leaky foot valve wouldn't the water continue to drop down to the water table?

Joeshmo

Reaction score
The water level is still dropping when the pump is not connected to power. It has slowed down however. It goes down about 3 1/2 feet over 48 hours. Is there anything I can do besides changing pipe length to change the location of the packer?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the foot valve was leaking back the pump would cycle back on when no one is using water. If the pump pressure stays up when no water is used I think the leathers are still leaking or you have a hole in the casing.

Joeshmo

Reaction score
If the foot valve was leaking back the pump would cycle back on when no one is using water. If the pump pressure stays up when no water is used I think the leathers are still leaking or you have a hole in the casing.
Thanks. That is helpful. When the pump is connected to power it's not much of an issue because it kicks back on when the pressure drops below 30. The pump is run on a generator so there are days when it's not in use. When I go to use it again after a few days the pressure is at zero. I need to re fill the pump. Also while running the system wide open with the half horse pump it maintains at about 18 and won't build pressure until the water is turned down or off. Not sure if that is normal or not. I am getting 6 gal per minute.

Joeshmo

Reaction score
Only 18 PSI makes me think the jet nozzle in the packer is clogged.
Okay sounds like I have 2 issues. For what its worth I do see some flutter in the gauge as well when it's building or trying to build pressure.
The pump is loosing pressure as the water leaks back down when off. Are you saying that means it's the foot valve and not the packer? I'm sure I will be pulling it again. Just want to have a good game plan. It's only two lengths of 1 1/4" pipe but each are 21' long. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks. That is helpful. When the pump is connected to power it's not much of an issue because it kicks back on when the pressure drops below 30. The pump is run on a generator so there are days when it's not in use. When I go to use it again after a few days the pressure is at zero. I need to re fill the pump. Also while running the system wide open with the half horse pump it maintains at about 18 and won't build pressure until the water is turned down or off. Not sure if that is normal or not. I am getting 6 gal per minute.
Sounds maybe normal to me. Jet pumps are not that efficient, I think there is often some adjustment of how much water gets sent back down the well that could be tuned to improve things. Post a photo of the pump including the two pipes connecting with the well.

Joeshmo

Reaction score
Sounds maybe normal to me. Jet pumps are not that efficient, I think there is often some adjustment of how much water gets sent back down the well that could be tuned to improve things. Post a photo of the pump including the two pipes connecting with the well.
Thanks. I will take a picture when I get back there. Here is the pump/tank I am using. It's connected to the well casing adapter via poly pipes metal hose barbs and clamps.

Reach4

Reaction score

Joeshmo

Reaction score
Take a look at the table in that link.
GPH @ 40 ft. of Head 4 GPM .
Yes I did see that. I was pleasantly surprised to be exceeding the rated output. Should I install a valve to throttle it back allowing the pump to build pressure?

Joeshmo

Reaction score
Will it damage the pump to have it remain on continuously while the water is wide open?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Says it will still build 65 PSI from 70' depth. Should build to 50 and shut off it you close the faucets. Running wide open is not going to hurt anything but you don't get any pressure unless you use less than 4 GPM.

Joeshmo

Reaction score
Says it will still build 65 PSI from 70' depth. Should build to 50 and shut off it you close the faucets. Running wide open is not going to hurt anything but you don't get any pressure unless you use less than 4 GPM.
Thanks. Yes it builds to 50 and shuts off with the faucet closed or even half closed so that makes sense. Now I just need to decide if it's worth messing with it. If I leave it as is I need to re prime after the power has been off for a few days. Not the end of the world. When it's connected to power it will fill itself back up every few days.

Reach4

Reaction score
Should he treat the valve after the system as a discharge control valve?

Joeshmo

Reaction score
Should he treat the valve after the system as a discharge control valve?
Right now there is just a single faucet connected. I could put a shut off valve before it and just dial it back till the pump starts building pressure and then leave it there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks