How bad did I screw up?

Users who are viewing this thread

jdmag00

Reaction score
First off thanks for any and all responses, I decided to do a laundry/bath reno DIY and have zero plumbing experience. To make a long story short the line going to the right off the sanitary tee goes to a washing machine, with vent, which ties into the vent for shower and onward to stack. The drain in the center of the picture is for a shower, these tie into an existing 2in that runs about 3ft to a 3in wye into the main drain line. The issue is I have since learned I am not allowed by code to use a tee in this manner (I hope thats my only screw up). I have since leveled this floor and covered it with DITRA heat matt, and put in a shower pan and curb. My question is should I just break it all up and do it right? Or is that not that big of a deal ( Yes I know its not right ). I believe the correct way of doing this, and what I should have done was extend the 3in and connect the two 2in drains to that using proper fittings.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• PXL_20201101_184444258.jpg
    PXL_20201101_184444258.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 150

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Sad for your wasted efforts.
The bend you used off the wye branch is not a 45, and that fifth or sixth bend is not allowed to be used in the horizontal plane...so, more prone to clogging due to the lack of sweep while draining.
You will very likely get backwash from the laundry into the p-trap.
For SURE, I would recommend breaking it up and "do it right" means changing a bunch, because there is no adequate/proper vent for the shower drain either.
Extending the 3" is not a true solution at all.
Hire a licensed professional plumbing contractor.

jdmag00

Reaction score
Well, I can't say I'm happy with your response but thanks for the kick in the nuts. Nobody to blame but myself.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dry vent takeoffs are required to be vertical, so this is definitely a do over with a new DWV design.

Cheers, Wayne

jdmag00

Reaction score
Dry vent takeoffs are required to be vertical, so this is definitely a do over with a new DWV design.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks Wayne, so it sounds like among other things I should have used a rotated wye so my vent was not flat? Looks like I'll be getting the jackhammer out, guess I'll stick to what I know from now on lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks