Plumbing Waste Diagram Check

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
in regard to offsetting the trap arm in way that Wayne shows . it kind of goes against the way we do things but I think it likely is permitted because water closets and similar fixtures don't need weir of trap below vent opening. pics Terry posts show trap arm on a 45 that doesn't fly on lavs , sinks, showers tubs, but on toilets its a go. I wouldn't feel too confident on an inspection but I cant see an argument that it cant be offset. last post by Wayne isn't a wet vent Just go ahead anyone and point out where a w/c would be illegal to help clarify

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
UPC training manual 1997

venting-a-toilet-upc-05.jpg

venting-a-toilet-upc-06.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
not getting any help looking at those pics Terry . I've never offset my trap arm but looking at those pics don't clarify it . of course diagram " g" depicts an offset and vent is way low on those . I was looking for the code violation didn't find it probably didn't dig deep enough but that doesn't mean much I just haven't found it.

Erik R. Quackenbush

Reaction score
Well, it occurred to me way too late in this process that as an architect I have fairly easy access to plumbing engineers. I contacted one yesterday, and after talking through the various designs, they sent me back the attached diagram they feel meets the VPC (IPC w/ state amendments). From that I modified my design to what you see below. I think this might be what I go with. All the fittings aren't quite complete yet but I think this layout works. It's a little more work in the closet ceiling than I'd prefer, but not worth worrying about.

Plumbing 11.JPG

Attachments

• Erik_Guest Bathroom.pdf
    93.3 KB · Views: 130

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that works its got an AAV on above w/c any way. why put another AAV at the lav ? just put a lav waste and tub directly on the vertical stack assuming that goes through roof and not a waste line for an above floor

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For the record, the latest rendering and PDF diagram don't show an AAV at the WC. The rendering is of a wall hung WC and shows the wall tank plus the pipe from tank to bowl.

As an aside, looking at the picture of the internal trapway on a wall hung WC, and comparing it to the trapway on a floor discharge WC, it looks like the wall hung elbow in the wall would have to be pointed downward to match the trapway on a floor discharge WC, and to complete the self-siphoning S-trap. Is that correct, or can it be turned horizontal as was previously suggested in this thread?

Cheers, Wayne

Erik R. Quackenbush

Reaction score
For the record, the latest rendering and PDF diagram don't show an AAV at the WC. The rendering is of a wall hung WC and shows the wall tank plus the pipe from tank to bowl.

As an aside, looking at the picture of the internal trapway on a wall hung WC, and comparing it to the trapway on a floor discharge WC, it looks like the wall hung elbow in the wall would have to be pointed downward to match the trapway on a floor discharge WC, and to complete the self-siphoning S-trap. Is that correct, or can it be turned horizontal as was previously suggested in this thread?

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne, I talked with a manufacturer on the phone a few days back, and they said that their wall-hung toilets require that you have the trapway no shallower than 45° to get proper suction and flow.

On my last rendering, the yellow is an AAV, and the main 3" stack just terminates inside the cabinet. I extended it up into the cabinet so I can leave an inspection port there. The engineer was of the opinion that no vent or AAV was required on the WC at all.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am an architect in Richmond finishing off my attic to handle my growing family. I've finished framing, electrical, and mechanical, and am now designing the plumbing for an additional full bath. I know the building code well, but not the specifics of the plumbing code, so I thought I'd sign up and get some advice. The attached diagram shows what I think I need to do.

Due to the age and construction of the house, I don't want to cut any of the existing floor framing members, so I'm trying to plumb this accordingly. Blue is waste, yellow is vent. For the vanity I was going to use an AAV, and for the toilet I was going to pipe a vent to the roof. All the waste lines run parallel to the floor joists until they can drop down through the top of a closet, where they hook up and head down through the floor to tie into the main waste line in the crawlspace.

One error that I already know is that I need a long sweep tee where the tub drain connects into the toilet drain. Does anything else look like it won't pass code?

what software are you using for your drawings?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks