This doesn't look right, but I think it meets code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Being from UPC country I see nothing at all wrong with such violation as for only a 2 inch line, (of course I'm not in IPC code) see no reason a reasonable inspector wouldn't allow it pipes aren't buried in wall or underslab. a good running test would be fine for me as well. I've never been too big on researching why a code has its reasons , why UPC says this and IPC says another. I concentrate on the benefit of compliance versus the hardship or cost if the benefit is so little or non existent but very difficult than no need forcing someone to rework it. good luck its in inspectors hands.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
One note about testing with air.. Air is a Much smaller particle than water and will find all sorts of places to leak that water will not. Wet all of your testing apparatus first so that air has less chance of finding those tiny imperfections. Buy the smallest test gauge you can.. I use a 5 pound guage but they're hard to find.

ADK_MechETech

Reaction score
One note about testing with air.. Air is a Much smaller particle than water and will find all sorts of places to leak that water will not. Wet all of your testing apparatus first so that air has less chance of finding those tiny imperfections. Buy the smallest test gauge you can.. I use a 5 pound guage but they're hard to find.

Yep, I found a test gauge setup at the home desperate. Not all that low, but maxes out at like 15psi. I've got a spray bottle with soapy water I was using to spray down all the joints. Pretty much everything checked out already except the sump, obviously.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
by all means be very careful with all testing but air and plastic a potential hazardous combination. even 5 psi don't take it too lightly

ADK_MechETech

Reaction score
by all means be very careful with all testing but air and plastic a potential hazardous combination. even 5 psi don't take it too lightly

Thank you for the warning.

I know of the danger and understand the risks. It's all 2" sch40 and not much total length (volume). At 5psi, while there is a significant amount of stored energy there, it's not a bomb. I'm also not going to be going around whacking any of the pipes with a hammer while it is pressurized.

"It'll be fine."

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It should be fine as you say , just wanted to put safety fresh in your mind and all of ours

ADK_MechETech

Reaction score
Inspection passed. No findings, nothing to fix, and cleared to cover with sheet rock. Next inspection is final. I've dealt with this inspector before and he is good to deal with. He didn't even verify my pressure test.....

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Inspection passed. No findings, nothing to fix, and cleared to cover with sheet rock. Next inspection is final. I've dealt with this inspector before and he is good to deal with. He didn't even verify my pressure test.....
Had an inspector tell me once , that if it leaks he won't be the one fixing it . ha ha
I don't think there is a thing wrong with it. meets all practical principal and will function fine!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks