Help replacing kitchen stop valve Cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Imcool

Reaction score
hello,
I am trying to replace these 2 valve cartridges for kitchen sink faucet so I do not need to change complete valve,
I ordered part and opened the old valve but the problem is I can not get the old stem/cartridge out.

I tried pulling it out by hands, with pliers it wont come out. I dont want to break it as it will be a mess to stop water :(

BuiCpEf.jpg

b9jHSo4.jpg

oqhCAEv.jpg

gsrf6GT.jpeg

if its cartridge cant be replaced then which valve to purchase to replace it completely out?

Last edited:

Imcool

Reaction score
The valve stem went in, originally, so, obviously, it will come out.
how?
I tried pulling it out but with pliers but no success,
i also tried pulling it out in several different turn angle but no success,

:(

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
push it back in spray something on there it should pull out look at your new one . be prepared if its that stuck to replace valve or have a couple shark bite caps on hand. maybe put handle back on so you got something to grab

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
how?
I tried pulling it out but with pliers but no success,
i also tried pulling it out in several different turn angle but no success,

:(
It was installed at the factory 50 years ago, you are not Likely to find replacement parts for that old of a valve, so "CUT " It off and install new ball valves that will last another 50 years

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It was installed at the factory 50 years ago, you are not Likely to find replacement parts for that old of a valve, so "CUT " It off and install new ball valves that will last another 50 years
Op posted a pic of his replacement stem sometimes I cant see the pics but looks like a brand new stem in picture. he been saying that all along so I see no reason to buy another valve in this case

Imcool

Reaction score
hello,
I have decided to replace the valves to new ones but

I just can't find an angle ball valve which is 1/2 for both ends and can be soldered.

and I can find any angle valve which is 1/2 and can be soldered.

Can someone please help me locating one?
Regards

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
i will change to ball valve, cant change the steam :(
ok dont know what the problem is you said you got the new part but cant remove old piece but it looks to me to be no problem . I have no idea why it wont come out. id give it one more try after you have back up plan and pull a little harder

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The stem is probably hard to get out because you are fighting a washer that has mushroomed and is now larger than the opening. With the bonnet off, put the handle back on, back the stem out as far as you can and yank. If the problem was the valve not shutting off all the way a new washer will fix that unless the seat is bad. If the seat is bad, in the unlikely event that you found a new stem it wouldn't solve the problem anyway. I think it is a new washer or a new valve.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The stem is probably hard to get out because you are fighting a washer that has mushroomed and is now larger than the opening. With the bonnet off, put the handle back on, back the stem out as far as you can and yank. If the problem was the valve not shutting off all the way a new washer will fix that unless the seat is bad. If the seat is bad, in the unlikely event that you found a new stem it wouldn't solve the problem anyway. I think it is a new washer or a new valve.
right on Mr Tee a mushroomed rubber washer likely the cause. The seat barely gets used on that valve unlike a sink faucet and I think a little perseverance would remove it but I'm not there.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
hello,
I am trying to replace these 2 valve cartridges for kitchen sink faucet so I do not need to change complete valve,
I ordered part and opened the old valve but the problem is I can not get the old stem/cartridge out.

I tried pulling it out by hands, with pliers it wont come out. I dont want to break it as it will be a mess to stop water :(
if its cartridge cant be replaced then which valve to purchase to replace it completely out?

on something like this, don't even both fighting with the stupid thing. What fixtures are being supplied here? Because the way I'd handle this, I'd heat up the two tees and take the entire assembly apart. And depending on what water i'm supplying, I'd sweat on a tee with two stop valves for both hot and cold side. Modernize that shit. If you're having to fight with it, you're probably freakin’ up and making your job a lot harder than it ever had to be.

-Mike
https://homeservicestriad.com

Imcool

Reaction score
on something like this, don't even both fighting with the stupid thing. What fixtures are being supplied here? Because the way I'd handle this, I'd heat up the two tees and take the entire assembly apart. And depending on what water i'm supplying, I'd sweat on a tee with two stop valves for both hot and cold side. Modernize that shit. If you're having to fight with it, you're probably freakin’ up and making your job a lot harder than it ever had to be.

-Mike
https://homeservicestriad.com
yes, I am changing the valves. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks