How To Clear Cast Iron Basement Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

DiYGuy2021

Reaction score
Hello. When I moved into my home, and had the inspection done, I was told the basement drain had a blockage in the trapped portion of the drain. I notice there is a plug on the side of the drain. What is the best way in proceeding to clear this drain?

20210427_145711.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Vacuum the hole with the cap, or the other part?
The other part -- the hole at the bottom of the bowl.

If you pull the red cap, that is for sticking a snake into. Maybe even a small or medium drain bladder would work.

In the picture below, that angled piece connects to a plug in the floor drain bowl. That plug is there to allow cleanout access.

floor-drain-with-cleanout.jpg

DiYGuy2021

Reaction score
Alright. Thanks. I will try the non-plugged portion first to clear. I wonder how the inspector would have known the issue was the trapped portion, though...

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
They probably poured water into the drain and watched it not drain.

FWIW, those old cast iron traps are simply too tight of a radius to get a drain snake through, that is why there is a plug for that purpose. You can cable a bit down the trap, but then follow that with a wet vac to get as much of everything out.

index.php

DiYGuy2021

Reaction score
They probably poured water into the drain and watched it not drain.

FWIW, those old cast iron traps are simply too tight of a radius to get a drain snake through, that is why there is a plug for that purpose. You can cable a bit down the trap, but then follow that with a wet vac to get as much of everything out.

Thanks. So, if they poured water in it, and it filled up quick, that would tell you it was in the trapped portion because, if it was further down the line, they would have needed to pour a larger amount of water in it to see the backup?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. So, if they poured water in it, and it filled up quick, that would tell you it was in the trapped portion because, if it was further down the line, they would have needed to pour a larger amount of water in it to see the backup?

Perhaps.. Im saying more likely they poured x amount of water into the trap and observed it fill up to the top.. and not go anywhere.. thus clogged.. How much or how long is not known to us.. But you could perform the same task yourself to calculate that..

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
diyguy2021, I wouldn't worry about what inspector said or how he figured it out. but worry about the facts is drain plugged? then un plug. it likely is at trap. shop vac and a wire coat hangar what ever you have. if you remove plug and water can drain freely down hole then you know its the trap. if it doesn't drain then you know you have a back up downstream

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks