Hot Transformer for Honeywell UV2400U5000 UV light

Users who are viewing this thread

korr565

Reaction score
Hello. I installed the Honeywell UV2400U5000 UV light in my air handler a few months back and noticed recently how hot the transformer is getting--too hot to touch for more than a 3-4 seconds. This seems unusual from what I've read. Should I be concerned?

Since my air handler is variable speed, I took the advice I read many places and wired the UV light to a separate 24v 40VA transformer and separate constant external power. The light draws 16VA.

Everything is located in my attic, which is easily accessible but hot and humid (Florida). Not sure if this is related in any way.

Thank you for any feedback.

Kevin

korr565

Reaction score
Followup...this morning I checked and the transformer was just warm, not hot. So, I'm guessing the problem IS related to the environment--the hot Florida attic during the day.

I failed to mention previously that, in order to avoid further crowding in the air handler control box, I mounted this transformer outside the air handler altogether. Should I try to mount it inside?

Many thanks again
Kevin

korr565

Reaction score
Thanks, fitter30. Much appreciated. I should've thought of that--the air inside the handler will be cool!

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, fitter30. Much appreciated. I should've thought of that--the air inside the handler will be cool!
It's going to make the AC less efficient. How about making that transformer easy to change, and leave it outside for now?

https://www.winsupplyinc.com/emerson/_/A-07684507 is a transformer rated for 150F ambient. I would try for a higher-rated transformer, and leave it in the heat.

Last edited:

korr565

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. Could you explain how it would affect efficiency? I'd still power it separately from the air handler, even if mounted inside. BTW, here are the specs on the transformer I have.

Approvals: Class 2 UL5085-3 Approved, C-UL, CSA, RoHS
130(B) insulation system
Mounting: Foot mount or hub mount
Over Current Protection: Inherently Limited
Input: 120VAC, 60HZ
Output: 24VAC/40VA
Demension: See in pictures
PRI.: UL 1015 18AWG Length 208mm in color "black","white"
Operating Temperature: -40 to 140°F
MTBF: 100,000 Hours @ 77°F
Construction: Split-Bobbin
Product Weight: 720g / 1.59lb

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. Could you explain how it would affect efficiency? I'd still power it separately from the air handler, even if mounted inside. BTW, here are the specs on the transformer I have.
The transformer generates heat to the extent that it is not 100% efficient. If that heat is generated inside the air handler, that is more heat that your AC has to remove.

I don't know how much heat is generated. Worth worrying about? I am not sure.

SShaw

Reaction score
In the winter that heat would increase the efficiency.

If it were 95% efficient, the heat loss would be 0.05 x 40VA = 2 Watts. It's probably somewhere between 2-6 Watts, so not likely an efficiency driver.

Reach4

Reaction score

korr565

Reaction score
Thanks, all. Very helpful. Since it's easy enough, I'm going to try it inside the handler for a day and closely monitor it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks