Yet another Utility Sink / Washing Machine question

Users who are viewing this thread

mjf55

Reaction score
I have not seen my exact configuration ( vent pipe will be in center ) so I am seeking out your assistance. I have a current laundry room, with the washer in it. The vent pipe goes straight thru the roof and nothing else is attached. I want to move the washer to the left side of the wall ( and make a washer / dryer stack ) and put a utility sink in the current location. Total room with is about 5 feet, so every thing will be within 24" of the drain/vent stack. Can I just attach both washer and sink to the drain / vent directly (as in the drawings) , or do I need to this setup

washer_rough_b.jpg

https://terrylove.com/images/washer_rough_b.jpg
In the drawings, blue = 1.5" and the yellow is 2".
Thank you.
CurrentPlumbing.jpg Plumb-a.PNG Plumb-b.PNG Plumb-c.PNG

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The center drawing will work but you must use a double fixture tee. With a double Sani-tee water will rush past the tee to the other side, especially a washing machine that dumps a lot of water. It will also allow a snake to go down toward the floor if ever needed. It wouldn't hurt to add a clean out.

The washer outlet box I see a wye used. Maybe for a steam dryer? If you still need it , with the wall open add another outlet box near the dryer for a clean look. There are outlet boxes without faucets.

Terry's configuration is fool proof if you have the room.

https://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf

Last edited:

mjf55

Reaction score
WorthFlorida, Thank you for your answer. The double fixture you are referring to is this? (see attached picture ). The wye used was to make the washer use all hot water ( it was a mixture of hot / cold, no matter the setting ) for grandchildren reusable diaper cleaning. Great point about putting another outlet box.
doublefitting.PNG

Reach4, thank you for responding. Do you think it will work even though option 3, page 10 shows a sink and lavatory , verses a washer and sink?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think so, but wait for a second opinion.

I think the standpipe santee being on the bottom, as you drew it, would be best, but that doesn't seem to be a requirement.
North Carolina has an amendment requiring the clothes washer to be on the bottom:

https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#911.3

They have also amended 406.2, so the combined vertical drain doesn't have to be 3" as it would under the unamended IPC:

https://up.codes/viewer/north_carol...4/fixtures-faucets-and-fixture-fittings#406.2

Cheers, Wayne

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
WorthFlorida, Thank you for your answer. The double fixture you are referring to is this? (see attached picture ). The wye used was to make the washer use all hot water ( it was a mixture of hot / cold, no matter the setting ) for grandchildren reusable diaper cleaning. Great point about putting another outlet box.
View attachment 73112

Reach4, thank you for responding. Do you think it will work even though option 3, page 10 shows a sink and lavatory , verses a washer and sink?
The problem with a double fixture tee is they are hard to find at local stores. Since you have to cut out the old it just seem easier to use. The double stack san-tee will work as others has stated.

I know about the hot water for washers. Ever since the new energy standards kick in over 15 years ago, the hot water setting on all washing machines is tempered. The cycle will start with cold water before changing to all hot and I think that is also tempered by changing to cold before the full fill. I once bought a new Samsung HE front loader and a tech changed out the control board after calling support on my complaint about this cold water start. The replacement part did the samething. After buying a few washers for my son and myself, they both do the same. No one mentions this in the user instructions. This is one area where the government regulations over step.

https://www.clorox.com/how-to/disin...ch/proper-water-temperature-for-disinfecting/

mjf55

Reaction score
WorthFlorida, I think I found a source for the double at a local supply store. Thanks for another confirmation on the double stack.

Mikha'el

Reaction score
The center drawing will work but you must use a double fixture tee. With a double Sani-tee water will rush past the tee to the other side, especially a washing machine that dumps a lot of water.

Terry's configuration is fool proof if you have the room.
Just curious - with the double fixture fitting, no problem with the washing machine siphoning the sink trap?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks