Help- Transitioning from duct board trunk to metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Europe72dead

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have a duct board trunk from my air handler in the attic to a supply plenum in my kitchen which services the entire first floor. The trunk travels through a closet on the second floor.

I need to relocate the plenum on my first floor which means moving the trunk over a foot in the closet space. I plan to do this by transitioning to an offset in the closet. Some photos below of what I plan to have built. Everything below the metal offset will be metal.

Question- what is the best way to transition from my duct board trunk to a metal offset? The metal offset will be insulated and drop down through the floor to a new metal plenum.

Would inserting the metal offset inside the duct board and then using sheet metal screws with big washers work? The washers would insure the screws don’t go through the duct board. I’m even thinking about using toggle bolts to really connect the two pieces.

Thanks!

Attachments

• EAB6D835-F004-48DB-B0BF-6679F6FB8A83.jpeg
    EAB6D835-F004-48DB-B0BF-6679F6FB8A83.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 82C04582-A5FA-4E7C-A2D2-62C237B895E4.jpeg
    82C04582-A5FA-4E7C-A2D2-62C237B895E4.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 333

Fitter30

Reaction score
Looks like the duct board drop is tight in the closest with limited space to get to the back and sides. A canvas connection would help with insulation of the fitting. Fender washers and self tapping screws from the inside out with the sheet metal over the duct board with a inspection plate to get into the duct. Might also have made some 1.5" -2" sheet metal angle for securing fitting to the floor. Aluminum tape and duct sealing mastic.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Design-Polymerics-64-fl-oz-Gray-Duct-Sealant/3736193

Europe72dead

Reaction score
Looks like the duct board drop is tight in the closest with limited space to get to the back and sides. A canvas connection would help with insulation of the fitting. Fender washers and self tapping screws from the inside out with the sheet metal over the duct board with a inspection plate to get into the duct. Might also have made some 1.5" -2" sheet metal angle for securing fitting to the floor. Aluminum tape and duct sealing mastic.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Design-Polymerics-64-fl-oz-Gray-Duct-Sealant/3736193
Great solution here, cutting a window in the offset and screwing from the inside seems like my best option.

I was planning on connecting the offset to a 12” long steel duct that would go through the floor and meet up with the new plenum supply box I have built. Is this where you would use the canvas connection instead to give me some wiggle room? I’ve never heard or seen one of these before but looked them up- they seem very useful, and can dampen and vibration noise. I assume duct board does this also which is why I’ve never heard anything.

thanks again,

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Canvas connection makes fitting the connection easier as not trying to wrestle the whole fitting and if the fitting isn't 100% perfect it will make up the difference

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks