Closet Flange to Waste Pipe connection

Users who are viewing this thread

OB1

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a new toilet and found something strange looking with my existing closet flange. Near the bottom of the transition it appears that the closet flange transition/tapered area was cut or broken off. I can see a 1/4" space between the closet flange transition and the end of the waste/soil pipe going into the floor.

Is this unusual and a concern for installing the toilet? I expected to see a smooth transition from the closet flange into the waste pipe. Does this indicate that the closet flange was not properly installed and should be replaced?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6013.jpg
    IMG_6013.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6014.jpg
    IMG_6014.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_6015.jpg
    IMG_6015.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6016.jpg
    IMG_6016.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 165

Reach4

Reaction score
I can see a 1/4" space between the closet flange transition and the end of the waste/soil pipe going into the floor.
I am not sure what you are saying, but I think that piece with "505" on it will lift out. Then you will probably see something more like what you expected.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My guess is that it was a knockout flange, which comes from the factory sealed for pressure testing. Then when the knockout was removed, in one area it didn't separate cleanly. So as Terry says, you can trim it back more evenly.

Then if there's a small gap between the edge and the pipe below, that probably means it's a hub type flange and the pipe segment wasn't quite fully seated into the hub. Not a problem for a 1/4".

Cheers, Wayne

OB1

Reaction score
The rough edge can be trimmed with a knife.
Thanks very much Terry. I was not so much concerned about the rough edge but more concerned about the 1/4" gap between that rough edge of the closet flange and the end of the waste pipe. Is this an area where I could have leakage?

OB1

Reaction score
My guess is that it was a knockout flange, which comes from the factory sealed for pressure testing. Then when the knockout was removed, in one area it didn't separate cleanly. So as Terry says, you can trim it back more evenly.

Then if there's a small gap between the edge and the pipe below, that probably means it's a hub type flange and the pipe segment wasn't quite fully seated into the hub. Not a problem for a 1/4".

Cheers, Wayne

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for the helpful reply Wayne.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks