Toto Drake bowl level

Users who are viewing this thread

Dannn

Reaction score
We replaced a toilet when we moved into our house a couple years ago. The toilet we purchased (Toto Drake) was too high for the flange, I read online that you could combine two wax rings into a large one to close the gap and that's what I did. The toilet eventually started rocking/rotating slightly, has been for probably a few months at this point.

About a week ago I noticed the toilet was leaking very slowly through the floor and onto the basement floor, the basement is unfinished so it leaked straight onto the floor. I assumed this was due to the wax seal breaking and this is what the plumber said happened. He replaced the seal with a bigger rubber type one. The leak appears to be fixed, I have not seen any water on the floor or wetness around the pipe underneath the toilet.

The problem is now the water level in the toilet sits lower than it used to. It used to fill up properly to the (idk what you call it) marks where you would expect it to and stay at that level. Now it will fill up to that level but it will slowly lose water until it's about a half inch below where it would normally be. It happens over probably 30 minutes, but I don't really know for sure. I'm guessing it might be because the nose of the toilet is higher than the rear and water slowly dribbles over the weir.

I believe the water level in the tank isn't adjustable on this model? It doesn't appear to have the screw method or the method where you twist the whole unit and move it up.

Any ideas what it could be? It doesn't really seem to be a problem since it's not leaking anymore?

Some pics of the tank:

dann-01.jpg

dann-02.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have the fill valve made for that tank with no adjustment.
If the front of the bowl is higher, then yes, I can see water slowly being lost over the weir. Or it could also be something like dental floss wicking water out.

Dannn

Reaction score
You have the fill valve made for that tank with no adjustment.
If the front of the bowl is higher, then yes, I can see water slowly being lost over the weir. Or it could also be something like dental floss wicking water out.

Thanks! I did the food coloring in the tank test and it doesn't seem to be leaking into the bowl or anything. I also put a level around the rim and it was pretty level everywhere so idk what's going on lol. I kinda doubt it's something wicking as we haven't put anything other than toilet paper and the occasional flushable wipe down it. And the plumber would have probably seen anything hanging in there when they took off the old ring?

Anyway, assuming it's not leaking into anything other than the drain it doesn't seem to be a big deal, is it? I still haven't noticed any water on the floor in the basement or wetness around the pipe when looking up from the basement.

Reach4

Reaction score
See if you can manually add some water to the bowl. If the bowl level stays up, maybe the refill hose is partially missing the overflow. If that is hitting the mark, you could go to a fill valve with an adjustable refill, and increase the refill.

When using wax, there should be shims in place to prevent rocking before you drop the toilet onto the wax.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
and the occasional flushable wipe down it. .

There is NO such thing as a flushable wipe... STOP flushing those down the toilet.

The levelness of the toilet would only fractionally and probably unnoticeably change the water level in the bowl. It would have to be a Very significant change to alter that.. like it would have to be shimmed with a brick.

The pictures included only show the water level in the Tank.. not the bowl. Is the problem with the water level in the tank or the bowl?

Reach4

Reaction score
The pictures included only show the water level in the Tank.. not the bowl. Is the problem with the water level in the tank or the bowl?
Good point.

With the clip, water can sometimes climb the clip holding the refill tube over the overflow by capillary action.

The easiest workaround is to not fill the tank as high.
See See https://terrylove.com/forums/ind...-review-and-pictures.55843/page-7#post-423736 post 130, and maybe others. The climbing action was not 1/2 inch. If yours climbs a half inch, maybe post a picture.

Dannn

Reaction score
See if you can manually add some water to the bowl. If the bowl level stays up, maybe the refill hose is partially missing the overflow. If that is hitting the mark, you could go to a fill valve with an adjustable refill, and increase the refill.

When using wax, there should be shims in place to prevent rocking before you drop the toilet onto the wax.

Thanks, I will try that. I haven't noticed the fill tube moving at all or missing the tube, who knows though haha.

Dannn

Reaction score
There is NO such thing as a flushable wipe... STOP flushing those down the toilet.

The levelness of the toilet would only fractionally and probably unnoticeably change the water level in the bowl. It would have to be a Very significant change to alter that.. like it would have to be shimmed with a brick.

Haha makes sense, I was thinking the level change seemed drastic just for it to not being level. The level is dropping in the bowl, I posted the pics because I wasn't sure if mine was an adjustable model or not.

Dannn

Reaction score
Good point.

With the clip, water can sometimes climb the clip holding the refill tube over the overflow by capillary action.

See See https://terrylove.com/forums/ind...-review-and-pictures.55843/page-7#post-423736 post 130, and maybe others. The climbing action was not 1/2 inch. If yours climbs a half inch, maybe post a picture.
Good point.

Hmm, that link doesn't seem work for me. I don't think water is leeching up the tube but I will double check. If it is doing that, could that cause the level in the bowl to drop? It fill up to the proper level and so does the tank, but then the water level in the bowl will drop about a half inch while the level in the tank stays the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks