Big pressure tank, won’t drain

Users who are viewing this thread

s10010001

Reaction score
So I think I know the answer to this but I’m gonna ask anyways.

my uncles pump seems to come on faster than it should. It’s a j10s on a 40/60 switch filling a larger pressure tank (80gal if I had to guess). It’s relatively new. Maybe 2 years old?

Anyways, when I turn off his pump and let out all the pressure the tank is still really heavy and you can hear water sloshing around when you shake it. Sure enough the pump seems to hit 60psi pretty quick and you only get maybe 10gallons out before the pump comes on again.

Is the tank toast? Anything I can do?

It might be CSV time for him. When I replaced all his plumbing after the Texas freeze I set it up in a manner that was CSV ready when the tank failed out, but we were hoping for more time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the tank toast?
Yes.
Anything I can do?
As a temporary measure, you can add air and maybe blow some excess water out. Maybe not. Just do that long enough to take proper action.

The compressor would better have a cfm or scfm rating. A compressor with just a rating in psi will typically be slow.

When you remove the tank, drilling some bigger holes thru the shell and diapgragm may help get water out. A little drill bit will go thru the rubber, but the rubber will close back up. Strapping the tank to a hand truck may help move the bad tank.

s10010001

Reaction score
Yea I actually pumped tue tank psi up to 50 for a while, then back to 38 to match the 40/60 switch. Only a little more water came out.

I’ll get them to order the CSV kit

s10010001

Reaction score
ok their ordering the CSV today. Were. right here in Spring Branch, close to Lubbock (7 hours IIRC). So it should take long to get here at all :)

s10010001

Reaction score
think the standard 4.4 gallon tank is fine for them? House of just two, retired, but they do have a pool to support. I dont see why not. I love my little 4.4 gallon tank and CSV.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think the pool stuff is affect significantly by tank size.

s10010001

Reaction score
His new CSV showed up. Man those boys are fast. Putting it in this weekend, maybe Thursday after work.

s10010001

Reaction score
This is from a couple weeks ago, but we did get it installed. Not my the cleanest work, and we did some electrical cleanup the following weekend. but no leaks and amazing pressure in the house. My Aunt noticed it right away. Constant and high. It came set to 50/70, actually loved that I was planing on adjusting it up to that anyway :)

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 196

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
This is from a couple weeks ago, but we did get it installed. Not my the cleanest work, and we did some electrical cleanup the following weekend. but no leaks and amazing pressure in the house. My Aunt noticed it right away. Constant and high. It came set to 50/70, actually loved that I was planing on adjusting it up to that anyway :)

Looks really good! Thanks for the picture and letting us know. Glad your Aunt likes the pressure. As an old pump man the Cycle Stop Valve is the only thing I have ever sold that people will call me and tell me how much they like it and how good the pressure is. Usually, as a pump man nobody calls until they are mad and out of water. :rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks