Low clearance toilet drain

Users who are viewing this thread

FrankBranch

Reaction score
You can do all kinds of weird things that might work...If you want to experiment, go for it. I've been down every one of those fitting combos and can get them to work.. But I don't feel like going thru the Work of describing the minutia here online.. for that you would have to be buying the beers.

The beauty of the 4x3 is that a straight 4x3 closet flange is designed to fit Inside the closet bend.. in your case you may end up cutting the flange to just 1" or so after the bend is cut flush with the finished floor. Or if you wanted to do some extra work and make sure you have clearance around the bend, you can install a 4" closet flange to the outside of the bend.

View attachment 72771
I would love to buy you a beer or two or three. Just wish I had a good plumber I could call who would actually show up sober. Anyway, sounds like the spigot closet bend is the best shot, will also get some parts for a plan B and modify as we go along.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here’s a sketch of the floor, it’s a stack of 1” T&G poplar with OSB on top, total thickness is 1 ¾”.
So the 1-3/4" thickness includes the finish floor? As I imagine you don't have exposed OSB in the bathroom. And the closet flange gets installed on top of the finish floor, not on the subfloor.

If so, that explains the discrepancy.

Cheers, Wayne

FrankBranch

Reaction score
So the 1-3/4" thickness includes the finish floor? As I imagine you don't have exposed OSB in the bathroom. And the closet flange gets installed on top of the finish floor, not on the subfloor.

If so, that explains the discrepancy.

Cheers, Wayne
Correct, it includes the underlayment / vinyl finish floor. Plan to upgrade that at some point in time, but not now. I measured it via sticking a tape measure through the hole left by an earlier CPVC supply line.

FrankBranch

Reaction score
Changing the finish floor elevation in the future would be easier if you use an outside fit compression flange or an inside fit barbed non-glue flange.

Cheers, Wayne
I went with the outside compression, was concerned that the inside barbed versions required more length in the spigot end than I would have available. Going to have a bunch of extra parts, being in a rural area a trip to a supply house eats a good chunk of a day, so I always buy extra. Thanks for all your help.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We recently used an outside clamping style on a project where the flanges had never been secured to the floor. The old ones, which were the exact same model, were a bit difficult to remove once they had been on for a LONG time on cast iron.. You'll probably have better luck with them on plastic pipe.

FrankBranch

Reaction score
It’s in, got the clearance in the ceiling and back wall. Used a 4” street closet flange and a Otaey clamp on closet flange, came out looking pretty good. First two images are the old work, last is the new. Thanks for all the great suggestions and guidance.

upload_2021-4-14_14-1-49.jpeg

upload_2021-4-14_14-2-38.jpeg

upload_2021-4-14_14-4-3.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks