Replacing Submersible Pump Control Box Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Rizwan A Sherazi

Reaction score
Hi
I bought the house 6 months ago and today noticed a leak in one pipe coming through the control box. I am totally unfamiliar with the well pump system/function. Attaching the pictures to explain the setup.
It seems from the Control Box there is a pipe going to the wall , that i believe is connected to the water pump or something. This pipe is carrying power wires but it is leaking from the middle. First i do not understand why wire carrying pipe will have water in it ? but anyways now i need to replace the pipe.
I was thinking to after turning off the braker , unplug the wires (coming from pipe) then cut the pipe from from other end and slide off the wires. Put new pipe pass the wires from it and patch the one end from where i cut and plug the wires back in to the control box. But i am not sure if this is the right thing to do, if i can cut the pipe , or this pipe is something else. Regardless it needs to be replaced since it is leaving.

This is my first post to this forum, i would really appreciate if someone can guide me with this please. I am comfortable doing some normal plumbing work & simple electric work dont want to spend $$$ by calling someone to come and fix it.

Please help.
Thank you All.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 195
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 191

Rizwan A Sherazi

Reaction score
There used to be a 3-wire pump with control box. That pump has been replaced with a 2-wire pump, and parts of the old control box are now being used as a wire connection box.

How does the pipe with the blue arrow sketched on relate to the box or other stuff? https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/4-jpg.72461/
Thanks for your reply. Please see the picture 2.jpg and 3.jpg , this white copper/metal pipe is coming through the junction box & as you can see in 2.jpg picture that wires are going through this pipe. I have no clue where this water coming in this wire carrying pipe may be seeping in through the ground water. I believe there are electric wires going to the pump.

I was thinking to turn off the breaker, unplug the wires from junction box then cut it from the other end as show in the picture 5.jpg. slide of the wires, pass through the cables from new 1 3/4 copper or PEX pipe pass through the cables from it and then connect the initially cut end together using SharkBite. Is this do able ? or i cannot cut the copper conduit pipe with copper cutter ? If thats not the way to do it, what would you suggest ?
Thanks for helping with this.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Coming out of the wall the electrical fitting with one screw holding the cover is a LB. Could pull wires all the way out cut the conduct unscrew piece going into LB. Replace conduit and EMT compression fittings and use a short piece of flexable RWS conduit or sealtite to replace ell going into old pump starter box. Then after rerunning wires use a polyurethane caulk to seal wires in old LB at wall.

Rizwan A Sherazi

Reaction score
Coming out of the wall the electrical fitting with one screw holding the cover is a LB. Could pull wires all the way out cut the conduct unscrew piece going into LB. Replace conduit and EMT compression fittings and use a short piece of flexable RWS conduit or sealtite to replace ell going into old pump starter box. Then after rerunning wires use a polyurethane caulk to seal wires in old LB at wall.
I really appreciate all your help and guideline. I have ordered new LB hopefully will get it in next week. Thanks millions.

Rizwan A Sherazi

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Please see the picture 2.jpg and 3.jpg , this white copper/metal pipe is coming through the junction box & as you can see in 2.jpg picture that wires are going through this pipe. I have no clue where this water coming in this wire carrying pipe may be seeping in through the ground water. I believe there are electric wires going to the pump.

I was thinking to turn off the breaker, unplug the wires from junction box then cut it from the other end as show in the picture 5.jpg. slide of the wires, pass through the cables from new 1 3/4 copper or PEX pipe pass through the cables from it and then connect the initially cut end together using SharkBite. Is this do able ? or i cannot cut the copper conduit pipe with copper cutter ? If thats not the way to do it, what would you suggest ?
Thanks for helping with this.
I just received the new LB i ordered of the same model and same specs, but from inside it look bit different. Old one has no black motor in it but the new one has black motor in it. Are they both same ? can i replace old one with new ?
Pictures attached. Please advise.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 186

Rizwan A Sherazi

Reaction score
I just received the new LB i ordered of the same model and same specs, but from inside it look bit different. Old one has no black motor in it but the new one has black motor in it. Are they both same ? can i replace old one with new ?
Pictures attached. Please advise.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 184

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry you did that. I did not know what an LB was. Had I asked, you could have saved that expense. I was thinking it was a pull elbow in the shape of an L or something.

What you bought is a control box for a 3-wire pump.

Rizwan A Sherazi

Reaction score
Sorry you did that. I did not know what an LB was. Had I asked, you could have saved that expense. I was thinking it was a pull elbow in the shape of an L or something.

What you bought is a control box for a 3-wire pump.
That's ok i was planning to replace the Control Box anyways , existing one is super rust and bad.
The new Control box seems bit different then the existing one. New has some kind of black color motor on its cover as it shows in the picture with my previous reply but the existing one does not. Is it something to look into or i can replace old one with the new control box ?
hahaha by the way from LB i was thinking you mean Load Balancer (this box) my bad :)

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. LB stands for line box. This is an LB for EMT conduit:
conduit-fittings-58705-64_100.jpg

Unless I am mistaken, you don't need a control box as such. The old control box was there because of a previous 3-wire pump. When the 2-wire pump went in, they ripped out the stuff from the control box, except the terminal strip. They then used that to connect wires.

Rizwan A Sherazi

Reaction score
OK. LB stands for line box. This is an LB for EMT conduit:
conduit-fittings-58705-64_100.jpg

Unless I am mistaken, you don't need a control box as such. The old control box was there because of a previous 3-wire pump. When the 2-wire pump went in, they ripped out the stuff from the control box, except the terminal strip. They then used that to connect wires.
Understood. That pictures explains the LB now. Thank you so much.
Attached is the picture of LB that is on the other end of the conduit coming from the control box.
Probably wires from the LB going out to the well pump.

So two question, i would really appreciate guide on these.
1. I assuming this L shape LB is used to pass through the wires properly through the wall. So what you are suggesting is simply unscrew the current LB as well and slide the wires out. Put new LB and new Conduit and seal LB as well so water dont come to the conduit pipe again ?

2. I also plan to change the control box because old one is very rusty , since i am changing the LB and conduit so why not change the control box as well. I will take the picture of all the wires to make sure plug them back in accordingly. But the new control box i bought says it is 3 wire motor (https://www.amazon.com/FRANKLIN-ELECTRIC-Submersible-Water-Control/dp/B00T3T5GUS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=FRANKLIN+ELECTRIC+1/2+HP+Submersible+Water+Pump+Control+Box&qid=1617147455&sr=8-1)
Would you suggest any link for 2 wire motor control box that i can replace with this one ? OR Should i do not replace the control Box at all.

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 166
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks