Which is best?

• SWISS MADISON SM-2T120 Calice Dual-Flush Elongated Two-Piece Toilet w/ Rear Outlet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ICERA MALIBU II TWO-PIECE TOILET, REAR OUTLET

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

ScubaDude

Reaction score
Can you help to evaluate these three rear outlet toilets?

The 3 contenders:
- CAROMA Somerton Smart (Lever) Back Outlet Toilet Suite
- SWISS MADISON - SM-2T120 Calice Dual-Flush Elongated Two-Piece Toilet w/ Rear Outlet
- ICERA MALIBU II - TWO-PIECE TOILET, REAR OUTLET
(Links below)

Anyone with experience on these models?
What's up with the Swiss Madison company? Are they making reliably flushing toilets?

The criteria that brought me to these three were:
- Rear outlet
- Elongated seat
- Reliability (will flush reliably for years)
- Dual flush
- Skirted / one-piece

Your thoughts and insights are appreciated!

https://www.caromausa.com/products/dual-flush-toilets/somerton-smart-lever-back-outlet-toilet-suite

CAROMA
Somerton Smart (Lever) Back Outlet Toilet Suite
829110 (Tank) + 829107 (Bowl)

somerton-side-lever-toilet.jpg

social-somerton-lifestyle.jpg

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improv...-with-rear-outlet-seat-included-swmd1189.html

SWISS MADISON - SM-2T120 Calice Dual-Flush Elongated Two-Piece Toilet w/ Rear Outlet (Seat Included)

calice-dual-flush.jpg

calice-dual-flush-02.jpg

https://www.icerausa.com/cproduct.php?productID=175
ICERA MALIBU II - TWO-PIECE TOILET, REAR OUTLET

icera-malibu-2.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never installed any of those particular models. I've installed a few Caroma toilets. I have installed a LOT of Duravit rear outlet toilets and have not had any complaints so far. They look very similar..

Why are you going with the rear outlet toilets? They are a completely different beast than a traditional toilet as far as plumbing the drain and in some cases, hooking up the water supply.

I would advise knowing what drain components you will need and what size of drain is required and how that gets plumbed in prior to doing any rough in work. Also, some of them have no external connection to the water supply, so that your shut off valve needs to be located remotely and supplied behind the wall somehow. Again, I have no direct experience with those particular models, just similar.

Just FYI.. I noticed you mention single piece construction.. None of the models pictured above are single piece.

OK.. scanned the installation instructions of the Coroma and the Icera(sp?) and they both utilize "typical" rear outlet drain connections that are "normal" for a rear outlet non carrier mounted toilet. At least the installation instructions show that its possible. It may take Optional components to make it fit, but they at least show it in their installation. The Swiss madison only linked to wayfair, and they didn't have specs, or install manuals so I didn't look that up.

Last edited:

hailatlantis

Reaction score
Hey there Scubadude & Terry,

I am in a similar position as Scubadude, where I want to replace an old wall hung, rear outlet toilet with a floor-mount, 16.5+ bowl height, full-skirt, rear outlet toilet. Does NOT need macerating unit. Does need an attached toilet tank. There don't seem to be many reasonably priced choices out there.
Was wondering what unit was decided on, or if there are any others that have been found that meet this criteria.
Thanks!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey there Scubadude & Terry,

I am in a similar position as Scubadude, where I want to replace an old wall hung, rear outlet toilet with a floor-mount, 16.5+ bowl height, full-skirt, rear outlet toilet. Does NOT need macerating unit. Does need an attached toilet tank. There don't seem to be many reasonably priced choices out there.
Was wondering what unit was decided on, or if there are any others that have been found that meet this criteria.
Thanks!

Is your current toilet a 4 bolt style wall hung or a 2 bolt wall hung with concealed tank? Converting to a floor mounted rear outlet toilet to a wall hung carrier style is a big undertaking and required a lot of unusual modifications when I did it for a client.

hailatlantis

Reaction score
Is your current toilet a 4 bolt style wall hung or a 2 bolt wall hung with concealed tank? Converting to a floor mounted rear outlet toilet to a wall hung carrier style is a big undertaking and required a lot of unusual modifications when I did it for a client.

Mine is an old American Standard 4-bolt with tank onboard.

20210329_092457.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're going to have a Really hard time adapting that to a floor mounted rear discharge. I had to modify cast iron fittings and find proper adapters for the 2 that we set.. Unfortunately I can't find photos of the mods I made for it. I spent hours developing a build that would work for a project of ours. Probably cost the customer 2k per toilet or more.

it can be done tho.

hailatlantis

Reaction score
Tuttles,
Can you be more specific? What kind of modifications to what? Are you talking about modifying the mounting kit in the wall?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
So your wall mount toilet is supported by the bolts and has a flange and gasket to set against a barrel in the wall that forms the seal. A typical floor mounted rear discharge toilet weight is supported by the floor and has a flange and gasket that forms the seal at the wall at about 4" above the floor. The height difference is why a normal floor mounted rear discharge wont work on a typicall wall mounted carrier.. plus the bolt system is different.

I found though, that a floor mounted toilet with the discharge at 8" (see the above swiss madison toilet picture for reference, tho the units that I used were duravit) has enough room inside of it to attach a couple cast iron 45s cut to fit and mounted with a duravit adapter to the cut off barrel of the wall hung carrier. It takes a lot of careful measurements and lots of grinding of cast irorn fittings to make work. Its probably not legal to do either.

If i can find the photos I took of the process I will post those.

Martin Maxted

Reaction score
I've just installed a neoprene ring, (they come in 3 thicknesses , 1/2", 3/4", 1") on the back outlet of my 1975 American Standard Yorkville. DON'T use a wax seal, they leak eventually. Used silicone sealant on the ring, both sides. I have two bolts to the flange in the wall and two bolts through the bowel into the floor. SOLID as a ROCK ! No assisted flush, just gravity. Works well, and I'm a big poops man. Flushes much better than the CRANE in the other bathroom.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mine is an old American Standard 4-bolt with tank onboard.

View attachment 72511

There are a few wall hung toilets that work with the four bolt carrier.

The Maxwell here from Gerber gives you an elongated bowl at ADA height. My mom loved hers.
I also installed dozens of these at Crystal Mountain ski resort. The old knees there loved them too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks