Water hardness higher from water heater than cold water line?

Users who are viewing this thread

bigpak

Reaction score
Hello, we just had our new addition to our house built, and we had a charcoal tank, and a water softener added, along with two new water heaters.
I’ve used a hach-5B kit to test the water, and we have 0 GPG of hardness on our cold water, but around 2-4 on the other water heaters. The water heaters were never filled with hard water, only softened water. They have been drained several times.

Any idea why the hot water is harder than cold water? Thanks for your time

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Was the water warm or at room temperature when tested? Test several times on both hot and cold to get an average to eliminate any false test.

How old are the water heaters. Regardless of hardness tests, at times some hardness sneaks through before regen occurs. Minerals will always deposit on the bottom of a water heater but with soft water it will never be an issue as with hard water.

bigpak

Reaction score
Was the water warm or at room temperature when tested? Test several times on both hot and cold to get an average to eliminate any false test.

How old are the water heaters. Regardless of hardness tests, at times some hardness sneaks through before regen occurs. Minerals will always deposit on the bottom of a water heater but with soft water it will never be an issue as with hard water.

the water was fairly warm, about 110 degrees if I had to guess

every time I test on cold it’s always 0, and depending on which water heater it is 2-4. Could it be the anode that is adding hardness by any chance?

bigpak

Reaction score
Never? They were not in service before you installed the softener?
Correct, I made sure that the water softener was installed and functioning and that soft water was coming out before the water heaters were plumbed in.

bigpak

Reaction score
I’ve tested the cold water everyday during its 13 days until it Regens, and always was 0 GPG. It’s a real headscratcher

Reach4

Reaction score
Some residual hardness materials could be in the hot pipes. Adding 3 grains of hardness seems surprising from that.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
the water was fairly warm, about 110 degrees if I had to guess
I don't know if the temperature will skew the results but suggest you chill the water and test again.

I envy your 11 GPG and wonder why even bother with a softener. Mine is 75 GPG.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks