Dripping Copper Union; O-Ring & Grease?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
I have a 1-1/4" copper union outside that was leaking, just a minor drip.

Searching the fine upstanding plumbing forums, some recommendations I saw were (1) apply plumbing grease to the threads & shoulder, (2) use pipe dope on the union face, or (3) insert what somebody referred to as a "cheater" gasket.

I didn't want to introduce any break-away clumps of dope to the system, so I applied the grease, and as for the gasket, I found a 1-11/16 OD x 1/8" rubber O-ring that fit the diameter. Seemed too fat, but It worked! Although I should have tried the plumbers grease alone before installing the O-ring.

But that's not my question. I feel like the O-ring doesn't belong there. My question is what would a preferred gasket consist of? Short of cutting my own from a sheet, I didn't really see any other viable candidates of this size in the plumbing or hardware areas.

Speede541

Reaction score
Alas, Jeff, I am in 100% agreement with you. I'm going to try it just with the grease, but if it still leaks, I'll settle for the O-ring over the drip.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok take a chance just like wrapping with ptfe shouldn't do that and it might not last but in desperation and or temporary measures sometimes things are done that shouldn't . just saying it could be a risk btw outside above ground might not be as critical but keep an eye on it.

Speede541

Reaction score
But would you suggest I try a different — perhaps more suitable — material for the gasket? The O ring seems to be holding, but I wish it were thinner and flatter.

Reach4

Reaction score
But would you suggest I try a different — perhaps more suitable — material for the gasket? The O ring seems to be holding, but I wish it were thinner and flatter.
Some tank tee unions use a PTFE ring instead of an o-ring.
https://www.rcworst.com/Shared/content/mfr/boshart_industries_inc_bii/docs/biitankteeinfo.pdf

BUNA-N and EPDM are probably a perfectly suitable material,. Compressible sounds like a good thing for a space that was not intended to have an o-ring.
https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=page_4

Last edited:

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
no gasket or o ring on the union
If it is an all copper union then it should seal itself without the addition of anything. If you are having issues with it sealing it is most likely caused by mild corrosion. Try cleaning the shoulder and the seat of the union with flux and rinse thoroughly before reconnecting. That should clean the mating surfaces and allow a proper connection.
However, that does not always work and at that time I would try a very light coating of the grease only. No o-ring!

Speede541

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for you suggestions. As I mentioned earlier, I should have tried the plumbers grease alone before sandwiching in the O-ring. Today I cracked it open, extracted the O-ring, smeared on another blob of grease, and snugged it back together. The union appears to be holding drip-free at 105 PSI.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A touch of pipe dope on the mating surfaces can help. An O-ring where one is not intended may not last, especially if you use an oil-based grease that could end up degrading the rubber.

If you overtighten a union, you can cause a deformation of the mating surfaces, and unless you get it exactly in the same place, can leave a ridge, and let things leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks