PVC toilet flange to fit on the outside of a 3" PVC hub fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

davetrouble

Reaction score
I am replacing a toilet flange for a 3" PVC hub fitting. I understand that one option is a PVC 3" spigot flange that is designed to fit inside a 3" PVC hub fitting. But it also occurred to me that a PVC 4" spigot flange that is designed to fit inside a 4" PVC hub fitting might also fit on the outside of a 3" PVC hub fitting. That is, as long as the wall thickness of the 3" hub fitting was 1/4". Now, when I measure the wall thickness of the particular 3" hub fitting that I am dealing it does indeed appear to be 1/4". However, I am not able to find anywhere where the wall thickness of a 3" PVC hub is specified to be 1/4" nor can i find anywhere where it is mentioned that a PVC 4" spigot flange will fit on the outside of a 3" PVC hub fitting. So I am wondering if this is a reasonable option or not?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am replacing a toilet flange for a 3" pvc hub fitting. I understand that one option is a pvc 3" spigot flange that is designed to fit inside a 3" pvc hub fitting. But it also occurred to me that a pvc 4" spigot flange that is designed to fit inside a 4" pvc hub fitting might also fit on the outside of a 3" pvc hub fitting. That is, as long as the wall thickness of the 3" hub fitting was 1/4". Now, when i measure the wall thickness of the particular 3" hub fitting that I am dealing it does indeed appear to be 1/4". However, I am not able to find anywhere where the wall thickness of a 3" pvc hub is specified to be 1/4" nor can i find anywhere where it is mentioned that a pvc 4" spigot flange will fit on the outside of a 3" pvc hub fitting. So I am wondering if this is a reasonable option or not?
You have reinvented a common item. That is what the 4x3 pvc glued closet flange is-- can fit over a 3 inch pvc pipe, or inside a 4 inch pvc pipe.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have reinvented a common item. That is what the 4x3 PVC glued closet flange is-- can fit over a 3 inch PVC pipe, or inside a 4 inch PVC pipe.
What the OP is describing is different, it would fit inside a 4" hub (a 4" spigot end closet flange) and possibly outside a 3" PVC hub (rather than use a 3" spigot flange inside the 3" hub).

My comments: hubs often have embossed printing on the outside that would interfere with the fit--best case is that you grind them off and then the fit happens to work. But I see no upside--just use a 3" spigot flange. The opening at the bottom of the toilet is smaller than 3" anyway.

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sioux-chief-inside-3-883-atms-side.jpg

They also make these for PVC. This one is ABS.

sioux-chief-inside-3-883-atms-top.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks